We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
For those places where there is no central gas supply, the issue of preparing firewood is very relevant, and the heat in the house in the winter depends on its timely solution.
As a rule, the preparation of firewood is carried out in the autumn-winter period of time, but here everything depends solely on the decision of a particular owner and his capabilities. To cut firewood, you can either contact a specialist or do it yourself, which will profitably save money.
What is the best time to harvest firewood?
It should be noted that preparing firewood for the winter is a serious physical job, which requires, among other things, good and strong health. It is best to do this in advance, since, given the harsh weather and low air temperatures, sawing and chopping wood can be problematic.... You can harvest firewood yourself, by sending it to the forest, or by ordering a car with ready-made firewood, which will undoubtedly be much more convenient.
From the very beginning, you also need to take care of the correct storage of firewood, where special attention should be paid to protection from moisture.
The fact is that atmospheric precipitation in the form of rain can spoil wood, turning it into dust, which significantly reduces the ability to generate heat. Late autumn or early winter, when it is still dry and warm outside, is considered the best time to prepare firewood.
It should be remembered that optimal drying of such wood takes time, and this is about 10-12 months, so such firewood will be ready for active use only after a year.
Here are some of the factors supporting firewood harvesting in the fall-winter period.:
- chopping logs at sub-zero temperatures is easier, since wood splits better;
- stopping sap flow in trees makes it easier to cut them;
- harvesting wood without foliage is much easier, and this is possible only in the cold season.
If you heat the stove with damp wood, they will smoke heavily and have bad bitterness, as a result of which a lot of smoke and soot will be formed, which will negatively affect the passability of the chimney. Despite the fact that modern technologies allow drying the forest in an accelerated mode, it is best to use the natural drying process.
Features of performing work on the preparation of firewood
If we consider the process of fuel procurement independently, then it can be conditionally divided into 3 stages:
- Felling in the forest, which implies the search for a suitable forest, where preference is given to even and not very thick tree trunks. The first notch goes to a depth of approximately 1/3, after which a second notch is made on the other side, which goes deeper. Here is also the cleaning of the trunk from branches and side branches.
- Sawing the trunk... At this stage, the trunk is cut with a chainsaw into chocks, which are taken out of the forest to the area of the yard or firewood warehouse. The optimal length of logs for a furnace or a large boiler is from 35 to 45 cm. The shorter the workpiece, the easier it is to split it with a cleaver.
- Splitting into logs... For better splitting, it is best to wait 2-3 days, holding the chocks in dry and sunny weather, which will make the work easier.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that you should not bypass the legal side of the issue, since in order to cut the forest it is necessary to conclude an agreement with the leshoz. Firewood can be transported using a wide variety of equipment, which depends solely on the capabilities of the supplier himself.