We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Orchids are very popular with flower growers for their decorative properties. During flowering, it pleases with its exotic appearance.
Not everyone knows that after flowering, the orchid needs additional nutrition to recuperate.
Only proper care can be the key to good growth and re-flowering. More details about feeding flowers are described below in the article.
Features of feeding
The natural habitat for orchids is hot tropical forests with high levels of moisture. In such conditions, the plant takes nutrients from the soil in sufficient quantities.
In home growing conditions, the substrate serves more as a support for the roots. And even the insignificant amount of minerals that it contains is soon washed out with water during irrigation. Therefore, fertilizing orchids is a vital prerequisite for their full growth.
How to fertilize, what improvised and folk remedies can you use?
The simplest thing is to purchase specialized industrial production tools. They have already selected the balance of nutrients. You just need to follow the instructions for the dosage of the drug indicated on the package.
Choose only fertilizers that are indicated to be suitable for feeding orchids.
Among the finished industrial products, they have proven themselves well:
- Agricola - complex mineral fertilizer, in liquid form. Contains an optimal ratio of all humic components and minerals necessary for the plant.
- Bona forte - an excellent tool for stimulating long-term flowering of orchids, helps to strengthen immunity, reduces susceptibility to plant diseases.
- Ideal - one of the best complex preparations, effectively increases the duration of flowering.
- Effect - contains a complex of substances to increase the immunity of the flower, provides complete nutrition for good growth.
- Biomaster - contains all trace elements necessary for orchids, promotes flowering duration. Stimulates the immunity of the orchid and the survival rate of new shoots.
- Osmokot - complex granular agent for introduction into the substrate. Provides additional nutrition to plants.
- Life force - contains an optimal ratio of vitamins and minerals. Well strengthens the immunity of orchids, stimulates the formation of peduncles and increases their number, increases the intensity of the color of leaves and flowers.
- Oasis - complex fertilizer, it is recommended to apply in low concentration.
- Greenworld - universal feeding, increases the growth of green mass of the plant, it is recommended to apply before flowering.
When using industrial compound fertilizers, do not exceed the dosage recommended by the manufacturer.
If there is no ready-made fertilizer, and the flower requires additional feeding, you can use improvised means for this. As organic fertilizers, you can use:
- Banana - Banana peel infusion contains a large amount of potassium and other trace elements, stimulates flowering well.
- Honey - stimulates the growth and development of the orchid, promotes flowering and increases the color intensity of flowers.
- Sugar - restores a weakened plant, due to the glucose content, enhances the formation of peduncles.
- Baker's yeast - stimulate the flower after illness or injury.
- Tea and coffee - due to the content of trace elements, it can also be used as a top dressing.
Many flower growers prefer traditional ways of feeding orchids. This gives confidence in the naturalness of the composition, but it may take time to prepare. Such folk methods as:
- Potato broth - due to the high content of minerals, it has a beneficial effect on the growth and development of the flower.
- Onion peel decoction - increases the immunity of the flower, helps in the fight against pests.
- Citrus peel infusion - has antiseptic properties, protects the plant from diseases and pests.
Do not fertilize too often, it can harm the plant. Top dressing is required no more than once a week or less often, depending on the condition of the flower and the type of fertilizer.
Step-by-step instructions: how to fertilize?
You can feed the orchid by root and foliar method. Root feeding - replenishes the content of nutrients in the substrate.
- To prepare the solution, you must first dilute the nutrient composition in water.
- To avoid scalding, it is recommended that you first pour clean water over the roots.
- Next, the pot with the plant is immersed in a container with diluted fertilizer and left for 20-30 minutes, after which it is removed and excess moisture is allowed to drain.
- You can water with a weakly concentrated solution under the root of the plant.
Foliar dressing - protects against diseases, is applied in the phase of active growth by distributing the nutrient solution on the leaves of the plant.
- Moisten a soft cloth or cotton wool in the dissolved fertilizer and wipe the leaves.
- Pour the diluted composition into a spray bottle and spray the leaves of the plant. To prevent burns, flowers and buds should be protected from the composition. It is also preferable to use this method if the roots of the orchid are damaged.
During this period, the plant does not have an urgent need for additional nutrition. If it blooms, then it is healthy and receives all the necessary substances. To maintain the flower in this state, you can only fertilize with weakly concentrated solutions.
- The usual dosage should be reduced by 3 times. This will be enough to prolong flowering and maintain the tone of the plant.
- After purchasing a flower in a store, it must be transplanted into a nutritious special soil.
- The introduction of additional fertilizers during the adaptation period is not recommended. Typically, plants are grown in greenhouses using growth and flowering stimulants. The first top dressing at home after purchase should be only at the end of flowering.
The increased nutrient content can negatively affect flowering and significantly shorten its duration.
To stimulate flowering
To form an ovary and start flowering, an orchid requires a lot of energy. During this period, fertilizing with fertilizers containing potassium and phosphorus is especially necessary.
- Fertilizer should be applied every 8-10 days.
- For a full recovery, the plant must be placed in a well-lit place or illuminated with a phytolamp.
- It is important to ensure that the substrate in which the roots of the flower are located does not dry out.
To strengthen and grow
Orchid roots are extremely sensitive, therefore, when growing them, you should adhere to some rules:
- Do not apply fertilizer concentrate directly to the plant. First, you need to water it with settled water, and then feed it.
- To form a strong plant immunity and build up green mass, you can alternate feeding methods.
- The orchid should not be flooded or left immersed in the nutrient for more than half an hour, this can be detrimental to the flower.
The orchid is demanding to care for and any errors in the maintenance of the flower will affect its appearance and ability to bloom.
Growing an orchid is not easy. It is recommended for beginner growers to use only ready-made mixtures for planting plants and feed them with industrial means.
Experienced gardeners can determine by the appearance of a flower if it needs additional care. After all, the nutrition of any plant, and especially such a whimsical one, must be properly balanced. The most optimal feeding method is to combine it with watering.
The main rule in caring for orchids is measure. It is better to add fewer nutrients than overfeed. If you follow the instructions of the manufacturer of complex fertilizers or choose an organic fertilizing from available tools, growing an orchid will not be a hassle. With rational care, a healthy orchid will delight with frequent and long flowering.