We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Luxurious exotic orchids are firmly entrenched in the interiors of modern apartments. Florists loved these plants for their unpretentiousness, extraordinary beauty, exquisite aroma and long flowering. The only difficulty is reproduction at home. The most affordable way is with the help of a peduncle. How to properly propagate an orchid through a flower arrow - read on.
Advantages and disadvantages
Breeding by means of a peduncle is a vegetative method. This option is possible when the plant has neoplasms in the place where the leaf leaves the stem. Dormant buds have an escape. The essence of the method comes down to cutting a peduncle from a plant and raising children on a hotel fragment.
The procedure seems complicated, but it has a number of advantages over other breeding methods (sowing, dividing the bush, root):
- The mother plant is safe, the cut will not lead to its death.
- The rooting period is only three months, while in other cases you have to wait about a year.
- Planting material is easy to find and prepare, unlike seedlings and seeds.
- Ideal even for beginners in floriculture.
When breeding, orchids require favorable conditions and a comfortable microclimate. With this, the main difficulties are associated with the reproduction of the peduncle.
The breeder needs to try to provide the necessary conditions. Otherwise, buds will not sprout on the cut offshoot, and children will not appear.
The following is how to properly propagate an orchid through a flower arrow:
- The ideal breeding time is when the exotic plant has bloomed. It is at this vegetative stage that all the internal resources of the main plant are free and will be directed to the birth and development of the daughter.
- The peduncle is separated only from a healthy plant. If the leaves are yellow or black, or covered with mucus, then it is worth doing treatment, not breeding. Flower arrows, which need to be cut, appear in winter and summer and differ significantly from each other.
- The winter shoot is long enough, with a scattering of buds. Having lived until the summer, he can form children on his own.
- The summer shoot is short and because of this it can often be confused with the baby that has appeared on the stem. The arrow itself has one bud at the top. This species does not always flower.
- Having decided on the choice of a segment for separation, it is important not to get carried away with the process. The lowest dormant bud should remain uncut.
Recommendations and contraindications regarding the reproduction method
The optimal time for propagation of a peduncle is May and June. Choosing a suitable peduncle, you can go in two ways.
Segmentation of the flower arrow
- A fragment is cut from the mother bush and divided into several cuttings with the obligatory presence of a dormant bud on each.
- All cut sites are carefully processed using activated carbon.
- The cuttings are folded into a prepared container or home greenhouse (if available) with sand or damp moss.
Little life hack: use bags with zip closure as containers for planting.
When reproducing in this way, the planted pieces should have several roots. After about three weeks, after planting, the roots will get stronger and begin to function.
- The flower arrow is trimmed at the very base.
- The future orchid is placed with a cut downward 3-5 cm in warm and clean water. The fluid must be changed weekly. It can be disinfected with activated carbon and fed with fertilizers. The container with water must be tightly closed.
- When the first leaves appear on the plants, they must be immediately planted in their own pots filled with a fine substrate with sphagnum moss, charcoal or coconut fibers in the composition.
The success of orchid breeding depends not only on the right choice of plant and its offshoot. In order for the stalk to form a baby, which will then delight the eye with flowers of paradise, it is necessary to take into account a number of recommendations:
- Be careful with the choice of inventory. All items must be clean and sharp. This will prevent infection and unnecessary cuts. Scalpel, razor, knife are ideal for grafting.
- Treat the cut sites both on the mother bush and on the planting fragments. Charcoal (activated, charcoal) will help to avoid infection.
- Maintain a comfortable microclimate. A stable air temperature of 28-30 degrees, high humidity, bright light for 14 hours is the key to the appearance of a baby.
- Watch for external signs of peduncles. Yellowing, dryness, the appearance of blackness will signal that you are not maintaining the correct breeding conditions.
The process of reproduction of orchids through peduncles is considered the most affordable way.
A positive result will be obtained if typical mistakes are avoided. Growing new orchids is contraindicated:
- Frequent ventilation and drafts. This is detrimental to young shoots.
- Poor separation of the baby from the bush. Uneven cuts for the main plant threaten with disease, and for the daughter one - with decay.
Step-by-step instructions for breeding
Compliance with the main stages of the instructions is the key to obtaining a guaranteed result in a simple way.
Choosing the right option
The most suitable option is the peduncle of a young strong plant. There are more than five healthy leaves on the bush, and the arrow has dormant buds.
Determine the location of the cut. It must be one and a half centimeters below the kidney. Disinfect the device with alcohol and cut. Remember to use charcoal to prevent infection.
Planting the cuttings in a container of water
Prepare the planting container and water in advance. Dilute the liquid with charcoal (one tablet per 250 ml). You can use a weak solution of potassium permanganate (achieve a light pink color). Growth activators such as Kornevin, succinic acid are often used. In this case, carefully follow the manufacturer's instructions.
Place the cutting 3-5 cm in the liquid, the cut should be at the bottom. Be sure to close the container with a lid or film, but make sure that the peduncle does not touch it. If using a bag, tie it with a rope to seal it. Provide access to light and heat.
When should a baby be dropped off?
If the conditions are met, after a while, the buds will sprout, children will form. Then the root system (from 5 shoots) and leaves will form. At this stage, the baby is separated for transplantation. If climatic factors are violated, then only the stalk will appear from the bud.
How to transplant into a pot?
- The formed baby must be cut off with a knife from the handle. This is done in the morning, observing all the requirements for the air temperature.
The peduncle is cut off 1 cm above or below the germinated bud.
- The sections are disinfected.
- A dried plant is planted in a pot, a small glass with holes for drainage. The planting substrate must be prepared in advance.
- Watering the planted shoot is carried out in a couple of days.
- A young orchid is sprayed several times a day and stored in a greenhouse for the first time.
The complexity of the reproduction of orchids, both through peduncles and in other ways, depends on the structural features. On the mother bush, dormant buds rarely awaken. The patience and care of a florist will be rewarded in full - flowers that are compared with butterflies, stars, or called "lunar", bring true delight to aesthetes and connoisseurs of beauty.
From the video you will learn how to grow an orchid baby on a cut peduncle: