We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
From the variety of species of Phalaenopsis orchids, eyes run up. They amaze with their exotic beauty and win the hearts of many people.
The Manhattan Orchid resembles a butterfly in its appearance, and its flowering gives the home environment sophistication and special charm. This tropical plant embodies love in the home and family well-being.
We will learn how to care for such a sophisticated flower from this article.
The history of the appearance of the species, origin and place of residence
For the first time the plant was discovered by Pastor Perer Osbek on the Swedish island of Ternate in 1752. Soon, some units were sent to botanist Carl Linnaeus, who spread the Manhattan variety around the world. The flower got its name in trade. Depending on the manufacturer, it may change, because this hybrid is not officially registered anywhere. In most cases, the name Phalaenopsis Manhattan is found.
Homeland of the orchid Manhattan: the countries of the Malay Archipelago. In its natural habitat, the flower can be found in mountain forests in the Philippines and on the humid plains of Australia.
Detailed description of the plant and photo
Plant height can reach 60 cm, and flower diameter is 6-9 cm... It has colors mainly from pale pink to light lilac. The flower is covered with small blotches resembling a marble pattern. If there is a lack of light, then multiple specks may disappear. Has a bright yellow to orange lip.
Peduncles are straight with a slope, for a long time they bear from 10 to 14 flowers, which also depends on the conditions of detention and lighting. Long-lasting flowering due to the formation of new buds is provided by a branched flower arrow. The root system is well developed.
Leaves are leathery and smooth, obovate and oval in shape... They have dark blotches, which also have a marble pattern in good lighting.
Below you can see what the Manhattan orchid looks like.
What is the difference from other species?
- Has its own characteristics of the root system.
- Excellent color from other species.
- Does not require strict adherence to temperature and humidity.
- It has no sub-grades.
When and how?
Mature Manhattan orchids can bloom all year round with the creation of a favorable environment and proper care. After flowering, the following may immediately occur, but retirement is also possible.
Care before and after - features
After flowering, phalaenopsis needs the same care as before flowering. There should be no overdrying of the soil, it is necessary to periodically spray water onto the plant from a spray bottle and create a rest period by reducing the feeding.
- If the arrow of the plant dries up, then this indicates that all nutrients have been lost, they must be replenished, and the arrow must be cut off after complete drying.
- But if the arrow does not dry after the flowers fall, then the plant can bloom again. You should not take any measures, or you can cut the arrow 1.5 cm above the sleeping bud, which will speed up the formation of the arrow or re-form the peduncle.
Attention! After flowering, it is worth examining the roots of the plant, as it may need to be transplanted.
What if it doesn't bloom?
Phalaenopsis often does not bloom for a long time. The blooming of its flowers depends on the state of the arrow... If the plant is no longer young, then flowering can be stimulated.
Most often, to speed up the flowering process, they simply move the plant to conditions different from usual.
In dryness and coolness, a new peduncle may form or flower buds awaken on old flower arrows. The new temperature can be from +16 to 18 ° С and is maintained at this level for the next 15-20 days. After the specified period, the orchid is returned to its initial conditions.
Step-by-step instructions for home care
The most favorable place for the Manhattan orchid is the windowsill... Windows should face west or south with shading.
Preparing the soil and pot
Phalaenopsis soil Manhattan is available at any home and garden store. When it is not possible to use purchased soil, you can make it yourself. It is enough to have the following components:
- pine bark after boiling and calcining, with a layer of 1.5-2 cm;
- vermiculite, polystyrene, perlite, expanded clay and other inert substances;
- additionally, you can use fiber and coconut chips.
An orchid needs a large pot to hold the root system. The spines need a little tightness, therefore, the diameter of the container is chosen 2-3 cm wider than the diameter of the roots.
The optimal capacity is a transparent plastic pot, in which multiple punctures could be made for drainage and ventilation, if necessary.
- The comfortable temperature for the development of the orchid is from +25 to 30 ° C.
- In winter, it is necessary to maintain the temperature from +18 to 20 ° C.
Acceptable humidity for favorable growth and development - 30-40%:
- Excessive moisture can cause stains on the leaves of the Manhattan orchid, which can lead to root rot.
- At a moisture content of less than 30%, loss of leaves and flowers can be observed. In order to increase the humidity, it is necessary to pour water into the sump.
The plant should be regularly sprayed... It must be carried out so that drops of water do not fall on the surface of flowers and buds. It is advisable to ventilate the room every day, but not to allow the formation of a draft.
Orchid is a light-loving plant. Natural lighting should be diffused. Otherwise, the plant will react negatively to direct sunlight.
In the winter season, the sun does not warm and shines very weakly. To maintain comfortable conditions, it is necessary to provide artificial lighting using phytolamps. The minimum daylight hours for a flower are 10 hours. With a lack of light, the orchid may retire.
Since the top layer of the earth dries quickly, watering is required in abundance. The less light the orchid receives and the lower the temperature, the less water is required. Moisture is better to be in short supply than in excess. Waterlogging of the soil can lead to the death of the flower... In the autumn-winter period, the plant should be watered less often, reducing the irrigation to once every 10-14 days.
Attention! For irrigation, use settled water.
Top dressing should be started after the first day of flowering. If, after feeding, the flowers begin to wither, then the plant is under stress and gets used to the new place. A flower purchased in a store can receive the first feeding only after flowering.
When using a complex fertilizer for domestic plants, it is necessary to reduce the dosage. It should be 25% of that indicated on the package. If special fertilizers are used for orchids, then the instructions for use must be followed most closely. Feed the plant with every third irrigation or once a month.
Required only in two cases:
- When the root system has grown so much that it no longer fits in the pot.
- The earth was overcompacted, decomposed and fell into disrepair.
Orchid transplant algorithm:
- The root system of the plant is washed and inspected for the presence of injured and dried parts.
- If there is damage, then they should be removed, and the cut points should be disinfected with activated carbon.
- The bark is soaked for two days to absorb moisture.
- After the specified period, rinse the bark in clean water.
- Lay a drainage layer on the bottom of a new flower pot with a layer of about 2 cm.
- Lay the moistened tree bark on top by 3 cm.
- Place the plant in a pot and carefully cover it with the prepared substrate.
- The first watering is carried out three days after transplantation.
Attention! It is necessary to repot the plant every three years after the end of the flowering phase.
How to propagate?
In nature, this type of orchid propagates by seeds, and after flowering - by young shoots. If the flower has a healthy appearance, then the babies can be cut off from the mother plant with sterile tools. The vegetative organ of the plant should be divided into two halves, dividing into parts with one or two roots.
Diseases and pests
Diseases can occur:
- bacterial leaf spot;
- foliage burn;
- powdery mildew, etc.
Most often, the plant is susceptible to attack:
- spider mite;
- wood lice, etc.
Prevention of various problems
The main preventive measure is the creation of optimal conditions for development, adherence to watering and feeding. It is the violations of these important points that in most cases lead to the appearance of unwanted problems.
A plant bought from a store can bring with it a number of diseases and pests. Immediately after purchase and during the acclimatization period, it is required to treat the orchid with fungicidal preparations against the main types of pests.
Psychologists believe that the orchid can heal people from depressive conditions and does not cause allergies. The process of caring for such an exotic plant will definitely delight the avid florist. Once you become familiar with the characteristics and main features of Phalaenopsis, you can grow a lush orchid and enjoy its bloom for many years.