We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Disappointed with the harvest grown on purchased seeds, many gardeners try to plant their own. And they often don't know how to do it.
Therefore, we have collected the most useful information so that you do not make mistakes and get an impressive result.
There are early, mid-season and late varieties of carrots. This instruction is suitable for any of them, if we are not talking about harvesting for supplies for the winter, etc.
How to grow your seeds yourself?
- Obtaining seed in large quantities, with a shelf life of 2 to 4 years.
- Procurement of seeds of the required varieties.
- Your seed is a guarantee of good quality and a maximum shelf life.
- Planting is simple to grow large crops easily.
- By growing your seeds, you save on buying imported ones.
- Carrots adapt perfectly to planting conditions where their seeds grew. Imported varieties lack these benefits, despite promises of high yields.
- We monitor the correct storage of root crops, which directly affects their ripening.
- When buying imported seeds, there is always a risk of substitution with other varieties.
- Some varieties of carrots may be resistant to flowering, which will result in a lack of seed.
- The presence of a complete and correct set of preparatory actions does not guarantee carrot flowering.
- Taking care of carrots affects its quality, so from a potentially useful and vitamin-rich product, it can turn into a plant, the frequent use of which will harm your health.
- Self-mixing of varieties leads to a loss in the quality of the crop.
Applying the knowledge correctly, one fruit will give you up to 2,000 new seeds.
When to plant root vegetables to get seeds?
- Carrots are two seasonal plants. And we will get the seeds next year.
- They begin to prepare a place for spring planting in the fall by filling the beds with humus or rotted compost, and the soil poor in minerals is fertilized with all of the above and the hall from spring.
You can find out about the time of planting carrots here.
Instructions: how to plant?
Preparatory stage for the first year
- Choosing varietal carrot seeds. The hybrid is marked on the packaging with the inscription F1. The latter soon begin to degenerate. Maintaining a loose soil and free of weeds is an important factor in carrot care.
- We plant it in areas rich in sunlight, with no shade.
- We grow carrots before frost, then we dig them up. To maintain the properties of seeds from year to year, it is necessary to choose the right root crops.
- Pay attention to the conformity of the varietal shape - straight, bright, juicy, without damage. This can be done in the spring by testing their storage stability.
- We cut off the tops, keeping the tops from where the leaves grow, in the same place are the buds-embryos for the next year.
Special storage conditions:
- We lower it until spring into a cool cellar with a temperature of + 1-2 ° C.
- Store preferably in rows in a wooden or plastic box, separate from carrots for food.
While the root crop is stored, in the fall we begin to prepare the future spring bed, filling it with humus or compost.
In the second year
The carrots that we have saved do not tolerate the cold, so you should wait until the third decade of May to warm the soil from 10-15 ° C.
For work we need:
- gauze or agro-fiber with a density of 20 g / m;
- support for testes foliage up to 1 meter.
Root crops without damage preserved from last year.
- Carrots absorb everything you feed them, so manure cannot be used as fertilizer. It also increases soil acidity, which will harm the root crop.
- If you have a high acidity of the soil, you need to reduce it. This process can take 3-4 years.
- To test the acidity, you can use 9% food vinegar by dropping it on the ground. At low acidity, bubbles or hiss will appear.
- In May, we prepare a garden for planting vegetables. We dig up and level the ground with a rake without the use of fertilizers. We stick the pegs where we want to plant roots and grow seeds to support the vegetation as it grows.
- We make holes with a depth equal to the volume of the root, water the bed with warm water and pour a handful of humus there.
- We put one root vegetable in the hole, sprinkle it with earth and gently crush it. We plant vertically or slightly with a slope, leave the head at soil level.
- Watering our planting again.
- We do mulching - we cover the soil with sawdust, hay or dry grass with a layer of 6-7 cm on the soil surface around the carrots.
The benefits of mulching are that we spend less time watering, plowing the land and removing weeds. After harvesting, dry grass and hay remains in the soil after digging the land and serves as its fertilization and fertilization. Dry the grass in a couple of days, then lay it out.
Read about the methods of planting carrots here, and about preparing seeds for planting is described here.
- If yellowish leaves appear, we sprinkle them with earth to protect from the sun.
- It is better to enclose the area with a support, because the leaves will sprout up to 1 meter in height and the inflorescences that appear will be able to stay on it.
- If two or more varieties of carrots grow nearby, in order to avoid accidental pollination by each other or by wild crops, cover with light air and light-permeable material. The gauze or agro-fiber that we have prepared will do. It should be removed after the end of flowering.
- After 2-3 weeks, when thick greenery appears, water the plant with milk of lime. To do this, add water to the lime until it looks like milk in its consistency. This helps to strengthen root crops, protecting them from disease and for the health of the seeds.
Top dressing of the soil with milk of lime and organic fertilizers occurs at different times. This reduces the amount of nitrogen needed by the plants.
- At the end of watering, we mulch the soil around the testes to reduce the effect of temperature changes on the fruit.
- Sometimes in the first year, instead of a root crop, a peduncle grows, which makes the carrot unsuitable. This is facilitated by many factors: cold spring, unheated soil, seeds of over-pollinated sowing carrots with wild, etc.
Determining that carrots are starting to bloom is easy. From mid-June to mid-July, umbrellas appear at the top, which is the norm only in the second year.
Read more about the principles of carrot care after planting here.
How to avoid premature flowering?
- When purchasing seeds, you need to look for varieties with resistance to flowering, among such "Vitaminnaya", "Canned", "Nantes 4", "Incomparable", "Cold-resistant19".
- Seeds must be no more than 2 years old.
- Select them carefully before sowing.
- The best predecessors of carrots in the garden are cabbage, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes.
- When the temperature drops, the film will save the bed.
- It is better to grow carrots between the plants of the beacons, this will simplify the care of the between the rips. Best suited: lettuce, radishes, garlic and legumes, while avoiding parsley, horseradish and beets with celery (with which you can plant carrots, read here, and is it possible to place carrots and onions on the same garden bed, we told here).
- Thinning of seedlings in order to avoid thickening of sowing is carried out 3-4 times for the entire period of their growth.
- Add fields regularly instead of daily small portions.
- Excessive fertilization and fertilizing promotes flowering.
- During heavy rainfall, it is best to cover the crop to avoid flooding.
How do you collect good material?
- The seeds will bloom for a long time, from July 25, brown umbrellas are an indicator of maturity.
- The collection takes place until August. If a quick cold snap sets in and the umbrellas do not have time to acquire the desired color, then even before September 20, we hang them in the attic with a draft.
Preparing umbrellas and collecting seeds:
- We cut off mature umbrellas as they grow together with the stem of 20-25 cm. They grow at different times, therefore we cut off in 4 passes.
- In parallel with cutting, the collected umbrellas are dried in the dark.
Dried umbrellas are placed in bags and gently kneaded by hands, rubbed through a 3-5 mm sieve, removing excess debris.
Carrot seeds are very similar to parsley seeds, so be careful. Distinctive features of carrot seeds - they are small, brown with white villi.
Selection of suitable and unsuitable seeds:
In winter, before spring sowing, we check the seeds for their suitability. We keep different varieties separate from each other. We soak them in a light solution of potassium permanganate. Stir sometimes and thus the dead seeds will float, while the good ones will sink to the bottom.
What should be the storage conditions?
- Store seeds in a dark, dry place, preferably in cotton bags. Cardboard boxes are fine too.
- It is strictly forbidden to use plastic bags and plastic containers. In this case, the amount of air required by the seeds will be small, which will contribute to the appearance of mold.
- The ideal moisture level for storing carrot seeds is 10-11%, temperature 10-12 ° C.
- They can be stored for 2 to 4 years.
- We air the seeds once a month, just open the box and shake.
How to use it in the future?
In addition to the opportunity to grow a quality crop, carrot seeds can be used to treat many diseases, thanks to the content of essential oils. Be careful with contraindications and consult a specialist.
By following our recommendations from year to year, it will become easier for you to follow these steps and you will begin to get a rich harvest.
We offer you to watch a video about growing carrots for seeds: