We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Every gardener wants to see beautiful beds with even shoots of carrots on his garden plot, and get a good harvest in the fall.
Experienced gardeners know how long they sometimes have to wait for seedlings. Consider what needs to be done for quick seed germination, ways to accelerate their germination.
From the article you will learn what factors affect the germination of seeds after planting, whether it is possible to speed up the process and how to do it correctly. You will find step by step instructions for planting seeds.
List of factors affecting seed germination after planting
Many factors affect the period from planting to the appearance of the first shoots:
- Seed quality... Planting material should be no more than three years old, it is better to use last year's one. The seeds should be bright in color with a characteristic carrot smell, without wrinkles and spots.
- Soil type and fertility... The ideal soil for carrots is light, crumbly, slightly acidic soils.
- Planting depth... In the spring, seeds are planted to a depth of 1 - 2 centimeters, before winter, the planting depth should be 4 - 5 centimeters so that the seeds do not freeze.
- Weather... Carrots love warm, sunny weather. If the weather is cool and the soil has not warmed up, the beds are covered with foil or sponbond.
- Humidity... Moisture is needed for the seeds to swell and germinate quickly.
How much can the germination time be accelerated?
The appearance of the first shoots of carrots depends on the climate, fertility and lightness of the soil, dry or germinated seeds were planted. Germination times range from five days to three weeks.
With proper seed preparation, soil preparation before sowing, adherence to planting dates, creation of the correct microclimate, seedlings appear 3 - 5 days earlier.
Step by step instructions: how to sow correctly?
How and how to process the material before sowing?
Proper seed preparation helps to accelerate germination and develop better carrots. Seed processing provides for a set of measures:
- Rejection... Diseased and empty seeds are removed. When immersed in water, healthy grains remain at the bottom, while empty ones float to the surface and are removed.
- Disinfection with manganese solution... To do this, dissolve 1 gram of manganese in 1 glass of water, soak the seeds for 10-15 minutes.
- Soaking in warm water to remove essential oils from the surface of the seeds so that the grains rise faster.
- Germination... Before planting, the soaked seeds on a damp substrate under the film are left warm, after a few days seed germination begins, when planted in the ground, such seeds germinate faster.
To correctly determine the planting time, you need to decide what kind of carrot you want to grow from seed. Carrot varieties are divided into early, middle and late ripening periods., which are used for long-term storage.
- Early varieties of carrots are sown in open ground in late April and early May, when the temperature outside is set at no lower than +3 degrees.
- Medium and late varieties of carrots are planted in the ground from 1 to 20 May.
- Experienced gardeners practice the autumn planting of carrots in late October and early November for the next year's harvest, two weeks before the spring planting. Such sowing is suitable for regions where winters with mild frosts and heavy snowfalls, so that the seeds do not freeze in winter.
Find out about when to plant carrots for seeds and how to collect the seed yourself here.
For carrot beds in the garden, an open, sunny place is chosen, since carrots like to be under the sun all daylight hours. The beds are located in places where they grew last year:
- or cabbage.
We talked about competent crop rotation here.
The preparation of the beds begins in the fall.
- Dig up the soil, remove the roots of the weeds.
- Humus, wood ash, compost are added to fertilize the soil. In the spring, mineral fertilizers are applied two weeks before planting the seeds and the soil is dug up again.
- Carrots love loose, light soil. Peat and sand are added to loosen the soil.
- The parameters of the beds depend on the size of the site and the preferences of the gardener. The optimal size of the beds: a meter wide and 15 - 20 centimeters high. Furrows are made in the garden bed, into which carrots are then sown.
- Before sowing the seeds, the furrows are spilled with a manganese solution, this procedure protects the carrots from diseases and attacks of parasites.
Favorable conditions for fast emergence of carrots:
- the air temperature is not lower than +14 degrees;
- soil temperature is more than +8 degrees;
- constant soil moisture.
For planting carrots, grooves are made at a distance of 20 centimeters from each other, 6 centimeters wide and 2 centimeters deep. The distance between the seeds is 2 - 3 cm. Read about the carrot planting scheme here.
Choosing suitable neighbors in the garden
Good neighbors for carrots are:
- carrots grow well next to spinach.
To protect carrots from being damaged by a carrot fly, it is advisable to surround the planting with such plants as:
- or sage.
Organization of care
- Carrots should be watered abundantly once every 5 to 7 days.
- It is necessary to regularly remove emerging weeds so that they do not interfere with the development of seedlings.
- After the appearance of the second full-fledged leaf, carrot shoots are thinned out, one most developed sprout is left in the nest.
- To keep the soil loose, it is necessary to loosen the row spacing, especially after rains and thinning of the seedlings.
- Plant feeding is carried out periodically. Apply mineral fertilizers after thinning. The second feeding is carried out after 20 days.
The principles of carrot care after planting are described here.
What should be done to make this culture germinate sooner?
A simple method of accelerating seedling is based on the use of dense polyethylene. Cover the bed with a film: between the polyethylene and the ground, the distance is 12 centimeters, an air gap is obtained. The film is left for a week, then removed.
Covering with a film creates a greenhouse effect, which contributes to the rapid and uniform germination of seeds.
Carrots are an unpretentious root crop, but they require certain knowledge and skills when growing. Observing all the rules for the preparation of seeds and soil, sowing and care in the complex, even a beginner can easily achieve the desired result and collect a large harvest of sweet and healthy carrots.