We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Having learned the good news about the "interesting situation", expectant mothers select only the most useful for their nutrition.
Vitamins are put at the forefront, and then vegetables, fruits, and also greens appear on the pregnant woman's menu.
In addition to the already familiar salad and celery, many people remember the edible weed - sorrel. Consider the nuances of using this plant in the diet of the expectant mother.
Is it okay to eat during pregnancy or not?
Opinions differ as to whether it is permissible to eat sorrel during pregnancy. Lovers of this greenery cite many factors that speak about the benefits of oxalic grass for mothers and children, because this plant contains a lot of vitamins and microelements, which the body of a pregnant woman so badly needs.
Excessive consumption of any product, even the most useful, during gestation can have the opposite effect. When consuming sorrel during pregnancy, one should not forget about the sense of proportion.
In the early stages
Can I eat in the first weeks? Many women in the first trimester experience signs of toxicosis.
Most often, pregnant women are worried about nausea. Fresh sorrel leaves, due to their sour taste, can alleviate these unpleasant sensations.
In the 1st trimester, all vital organs are formed in the child and blood circulation is established, therefore, it is necessary that vitamins and microelements enter the body of the expectant mother in sufficient quantities. Many of them are just contained in sorrel.
For 2, 3 trimesters
Pregnant women experience discomfort in the 2nd and 3rd trimesters due to constipation. As a rule, doctors observing a woman advise to eat more fiber. Sorrel leaves, which are rich in these fibers, can help manage and alleviate the problem. However, you should not lean on only one sorrel. The acid in this herb can cause heartburn, which is already a common companion for a pregnant woman as her belly grows.
How is it useful?
The benefits of this plant during pregnancy are due to the action of those vitamins and elements that it contains. Green leaves solve the problem of not only constipation, which has already been mentioned, but can also alleviate the condition with diarrhea, gently cleansing the body of toxins and harmful substances.
How does it affect the fetus?
- Vitamin C, found in oxalic leaves, is involved in the formation of folic acid. It helps to properly form the fetal neural tube and cardiovascular system, which are laid just in the first trimester. Vitamin C also contributes to the normal development of the membranes and placenta in the early stages.
- From the first days after conception, a skeletal system is formed in the fetus. Vitamin K present in sorrel will aid this process.
- When using sorrel in the first trimester of pregnancy, you need to remember that it contains a large amount of vitamin A. This substance, if used in an acceptable dosage (less than 3000 mcg), is responsible for the correct formation and development of the embryo.
- B vitamins are extremely important for the unborn child. They are also present in the green leaves of sorrel. If vitamin B enters the body of a pregnant woman in insufficient quantities, it can threaten fetal development abnormalities. Vitamins B1 and B2 help to form the child's nervous and hematopoietic systems. B6 is responsible for most of the metabolic processes occurring between the body of the mother and the child, the full assimilation of nutrients.
- Sorrel contains iron. This trace element prevents the development of anemia in the mother and child, affects the level of hemoglobin in the blood, being a guarantee that a sufficient amount of oxygen will flow to the organs and tissues of the baby.
Indications for use
There are no clear indications for the use of sorrel during pregnancy... Usually, expectant mothers are advised to follow a balanced diet, in which plant foods should be present in sufficient quantities.
Most of the sorrel is water. 100 grams of the edible part of the product contains 92 g. Of the trio "proteins-fats-carbohydrates", sorrel contains the most of the latter. 100 g of leaves contain 2.9 g of carbohydrates. Proteins 1.5 g, fat 0.3 g. Dietary fiber in sorrel 1.2 g. There are also organic acids (0.7 g) and ash (1.4 g).
Sorrel leaves contain vitamins (per 100 g):
- beta carotene (2.5mg);
- vitamin A (417 mcg);
- vitamins B1 (0.19 mg);
- B2 (0.1 mg);
- B5 (0.041 mg);
- B6 (0.122);
- B9 (13 μg);
- C (43 mg);
- E (2 mg);
- PP (0.6 mg).
- potassium (500 mg);
- calcium (47 mg);
- magnesium (85 mg);
- sodium (15 mg);
- sulfur (20 mg);
- phosphorus (90 mg).
- iron (2 mg);
- manganese (0.349 mg);
- copper (131 mgq);
- selenium (0.9 mcg);
- zinc (0.2 mg).
The energy value of sorrel is 22 kcal.
Can it be harmful?
Choosing sorrel as a supplement to the diet, pregnant women should remember not only about the benefits of vitamin A and beta-carotene contained in the grass, but also about its dangers... The use of vitamin A in doses exceeding the norm can cause the opposite effect to the expected one. The fact is that vitamin A can be presented in two forms:
- Beta carotene is a powerful antioxidant. Some of it is converted to vitamin A.
- Retinol is vitamin A.
If an excess of retinol can have a negative effect on the formation of the fetus, acting as a toxin, then you simply cannot overdose with beta-carotene: this element is absorbed in the amount that the body requires.
We get retinol from animal products, and beta-carotene is found in plant foods. A large amount of beta-carotene is present in sorrel.
A contraindication for the use of sorrel during pregnancy is urolithiasis.... Why can't you eat with this disease? The oxalic acid contained in the plant is involved in the formation of oxalates. This will aggravate the course of the disease. Also, sorrel is not recommended for women with stomach diseases and high acidity, because it will irritate the walls of the mucous membrane even more.
It is still possible to reduce the negative effects of oxalic acid. To do this, you need to eat dishes with sorrel in combination with lactic acid products - sour cream, yogurt. The calcium present in them forms such compounds with oxalic acid that are not absorbed by the intestines.
How to use?
Sorrel can be eaten both raw and after heat treatment... Salads are made with sorrel leaves, pies are made, soups are cooked. Not only the leaf itself is used, but also the stem on which it grows.
It will take:
- sorrel (100 g);
- egg (3 pcs.);
- cucumber (2 pcs.);
- sour cream 15% (150 g).
- Wash fresh washed sorrel and cut only the leaves.
- Cut cucumbers (into cubes), boiled eggs, chop the herbs.
- We combine everything, mix, salt, fill with sour cream.
We offer you to watch a video on how to make sorrel salad:
It will take:
- sorrel (200 g);
- potatoes (2 pcs);
- vegetable oil (1 tbsp. l.);
- sour cream (2 tbsp);
- boiled egg (1 pc.);
- salt to taste;
- water (1 l.).
- Peel the potatoes, cut them into cubes, put them in salted boiling water, cook for 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are boiling, we sort out, wash and cut the sorrel leaves, add them to the pan. Pour vegetable oil there.
- When it boils, remove from heat and let it brew for 15 minutes.
- Pour into plates. Add an egg, cut into slices, and sour cream to the finished man.
We suggest watching a video on how to cook green borscht:
It will take:
- sorrel (300 g);
- sour cream (200 g);
- sugar (50 g);
- for egg dough (4 pcs);
- flour (120 g);
- sugar (120 g);
- baking powder (1 tsp).
- Finely chop the sorrel leaves.
- Beat eggs with sugar.
- Sift the flour and mix it with baking powder.
- Gently mix the sifted flour into the eggs.
- Lightly sprinkle the bottom of the mold with flour and pour out part of the dough.
- Put part of the sorrel on top.
- Pour the dough on top again. So we do 2-3 layers. The top layer is dough.
- We put in a preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- While the finished cake is cooling, mix the sour cream with sugar, which we then pour over the pastries.
We offer you to watch a video on how to make a sorrel pie:
Application for diseases
Due to its composition, sorrel helps in the treatment of certain diseases.:
- With cystitis, use sorrel broth.
- Due to its high vitamin C content, sorrel has a beneficial effect on the immune system, helping to cope with colds.
- Fresh sorrel leaves improve the secretion of gastric juice and bile, which helps to improve digestion.
The possibilities of sorrel are great. But when using sorrel, like any other dish during pregnancy, it is worthwhile to moderately dose this product and take into account the individual characteristics of the pregnant woman's body.