We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Melissa (lemon mint) is a perennial plant that has been widely known for its beneficial properties since ancient times.
It is widely used in medicine (official and folk), cosmetology, and cooking. In the article, we will learn what melissa is and what the taste of the leaves looks like, how to use it in medicine (fresh and in the form of drinks), how to use it in cosmetology, namely for hair, for moisturizing hands and feet, and for the face. Also consider the use of lemon balm in cooking.
What does the taste of leaves look like?
Lemon balm leaves have a subtle refreshing sour (lemon-like) flavor and a cool lemon scent. Sometimes it is confused with mint, but the tastes of the two herbs are still different. The taste of lemon balm depends on the variety (for example, "Pearl" has a more pronounced bitter-spicy taste, and "Mojito" has sweet-spicy notes), from ripeness (lemon balm has a delicate taste before flowering, and during and after flowering, a pronounced spicy-bitter aftertaste is added to it ).
What is the plant used for in medicine?
For medicinal purposes, fresh lemon balm is most often used in the form of gruel. To do this, take the required amount of grass leaves, which is pounded with a spoon or blender to a mushy state.
Indications for use. A similar remedy can be used to heal wounds and abrasions, treat abscesses, bruises, ulcers and edema on the skin: just apply a little gruel to the affected area, securing it to the body with a sterile napkin and a plaster. After such a compress, the pain subsides, and the wound heals faster. The course of treatment is 2 times a day until complete recovery.
The recipe for the decoction is as follows:
- 2 teaspoons of herbs are poured with a glass of boiling water and boiled in a water bath for 3 minutes;
- after which it must be insisted for two hours;
Application. The resulting amount of broth should be divided into 2 parts and drunk during the day.: in the morning and in the evening. Such a concentrated decoction is used for serious sleep disorders, with prolonged insomnia. The course of treatment is 10 days, after a short break, then the broth should be drunk again.
The technology for making tea with lemon balm is very simple:
- 1 teaspoon of spicy herbs (fresh or dry) should be poured with a glass of boiling water;
- insist 10 - 15 minutes;
- honey can be added to taste.
Some tea lovers use a different recipe: 0.5 teaspoons of lemon balm, green (black) tea are poured into a glass of boiling water. Further, the cooking process is identical to the first recipe. As additional ingredients, you can use:
- linden flowers;
- blooming Sally;
All herbs with lemon balm are mixed in equal proportionsand ginger root is added to taste.
Application. Tea with lemon balm is an excellent sedative, used for neuroses, depression, insomnia and irritability. Similar drink:
- normalizes the work of the heart, strengthens it;
- improve appetite;
- help to cope with the first symptoms of a cold;
- relieve muscle spasms;
- it is prescribed for childhood neuroses and as an antiemetic for pregnant women.
Without harm to health, you can drink 1 - 2 cups of tea a dayThe best time to consume is in the afternoon or just before bedtime.
It is not recommended to drink tea with lemon balm for those people who need to drive or work with precise mechanisms.
Lemon and sugar drink
To prepare a drink you will need:
- a bunch of fresh lemon balm (50 - 70 grams);
- 1.5 liters of water;
- half a glass of sugar;
- juice of half a large lemon.
- Sugar is added to boiling water, the container is removed from the heat, grass is added and left to infuse until the liquid cools.
- Pour lemon juice into the cooled drink, after pulling out a bunch of lemon balm.
- Serve with ice cubes.
Application. The drink has sedative, antispasmodic, antimicrobial properties. It is not recommended to drink this drink in large quantities; an exception can be made to those people who suffer from neurosis or insomnia. A single dose is a glass, you can drink no more than two glasses a day, preferably after lunch.
Now let's look at how to make lemon grass syrup, what it is taken from and how.
- Add 3 cups of coarsely chopped lemon balm leaves to 2 liters of boiling water and, after removing from heat, leave to infuse for 24 hours.
- After the specified time has elapsed, the infusion must be filtered, drained into a saucepan and brought to a boil.
- Then pour 2 kilograms of sugar into the boiling liquid, mix well and boil again.
- After that, the container must be removed from the heat, cooled and the juice squeezed out of 6 kilograms of lemons added.
- After thoroughly mixing everything, the syrup should be bottled and stored in a dark and dry place.
Application. It should be consumed to improve digestion, with pain, as a sedative, anti-inflammatory, antiviral agent.
This syrup is usually added to tea and consumed as needed.
Drink with lemon juice and honey
- Dip a sprig of lemon balm in a glass of boiled water, pour in the juice of ½ lemon, let the resulting drink brew for 10 minutes.
- In order to improve the taste, you can add 0.5 teaspoon of honey.
Application. Such the drink is considered fat burning and has been successfully used for weight loss. How should you drink it? Usually it is drunk in the morning on an empty stomach 30 minutes before meals, but if there are no contraindications (for example, gastritis, stomach ulcer). The duration of the course is a month, after which it is necessary to take a break and can be repeated again.
Consider the beneficial properties of lemon balm oil and its uses.
- Melissa oil is used to improve memory, vision, cramps and inflammatory diseases.
- Cardiologists advise using it for arrhythmias, tachycardia and shortness of breath.
- It is an excellent remedy for sleep disturbances and in treating the effects of stress.
- The oil lowers the pressure.
Application. Usually a few drops of oil (5 - 7 per 50 grams) are added to jam, mayonnaise, sauce, and also directly to the dish:
There are no restrictions on use, but all the best should be in moderation.
How is it used in cosmetology?
Melissa is considered a plant that can have a beneficial effect on the condition of the hair and hair follicles: the essential oils contained in the plant perfectly nourish, restore, heal both the scalp and the hair follicle and the hair itself along its entire length.
Most often, shampoos and balms based on lemon balm are used for hair in beauty salons. At home, you can resort to the help of a decoction and a mask with spicy herbs.
To prepare the broth you will need:
- 2 tablespoons of dry herb leaves, which are poured with hot water (+ 90C) and infused for 20 minutes.
- After straining it can be taken orally (1 tablespoon 3 times a day), rinse your hair with it after shampooing.
- By adding a little cottage cheese or kefir to it, get an excellent mask that should be applied along the entire length of the hair and left for 70 minutes.
For moisturizing the skin of the hands and feet
The ideal product that can moisturize dry skin of the hands and feet are night masks based on castor oil with the addition of 2-3 drops of lemon balm essential oil.
- The oil mixture is applied to the skin of the hands and feet, rubbed well with massage movements.
- Then they put on cotton gloves and socks and go to bed.
- In the morning everything must be washed off with warm water.
The effect is amazing!
- 20 milliliters of lemon balm infusion (2 tablespoons lemon balm are poured with 200 milliliters of alcohol or vodka and infused in a dark glass container for 8 days, shaking occasionally), mix with 10 grams of chopped kelp and leave for 1 hour.
- 15 drops of rice germ oil are added to the resulting mixture and the mask is spread over the steamed skin of the face.
- You can wash off after 35 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon of gelatin should be poured with a small amount of green warm tea.
- Mix thoroughly and add 6 drops of lemon balm infusion and 2 ml of avocado oil.
- Apply on the face with a spatula for 40 minutes, after which the frozen mask - remove the film from the face.
From greasy plaque
- Pour 3 tablespoons of beer into a tablespoon of rye flour, mix thoroughly and add 3 drops of lemon balm essential oil.
- Apply the mask on steamed face skin for 15 - 20 minutes, after which it must be washed off with warm water.
- Mix and grind fresh lemon balm, raspberry, sea buckthorn leaves in equal parts.
- Pour 50 milliliters of boiling water into a teaspoon of the resulting mixture, stir and, after cooling, add oat flour to a mushy state.
- The mask is applied for 20 minutes, after which it must be washed off with warm water.
From itching after an insect bite
Lemon balm essential oil is an excellent antiseptic. To relieve itching from an insect bite, it is enough to take an aromavanna: dissolve 10 drops of oil in 2 tablespoons of kefir or milk.
As an option: dissolve a little sea salt or soda in 0.5 liters of water and add oil (10 drops) to the solution. Pour one of the prepared solutions into the bath. The recommended duration of the procedure is 20 minutes.
When there is no opportunity to take a bath, you can treat the bite sites with a cotton pad with the following composition: 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 30 drops of lemon balm essential oil are dissolved in 100 grams of boiled water.
The same composition perfectly disinfects cuts and wounds. due to its antimicrobial and antibacterial effect.
Consider where the leaves of the plant are usually added when cooking, whether it is possible to eat fresh lemongrass. Melissa is widely used in cooking and confectionery. Lemon balm leaves, both fresh and dried, are used to flavor pickles, marinades, sauces and gravies. It gives a delicate piquant aftertaste to berry and fruit jelly, baked apples, steamed vegetables.
Since ancient times, teas and infusions have been prepared on the basis of this spicy herb; it, as an ingredient, was used in the preparation of alcoholic beverages. It is impossible to imagine a modern bar that would not serve refreshing drinks and cocktails, light and sophisticated desserts with the addition of spices. In addition, lemon balm is widely used as a component of many salads and snacks.
Melissa is a useful plant that you should definitely grow in your backyard., on the windowsill, or at least purchased from your home medicine cabinet.