We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
In recent years, many summer residents have been growing on their plots a guest from China - a tender and juicy radish, which is called Margelanskaya or Loba.
Due to its early maturity, Chinese radish is an economically profitable root vegetable crop for cultivation.
In this article, we will look at how to properly plant this healthy and tasty root vegetable in order to get a good harvest in the fall.
We will also tell you about the possible problems that arise during the cultivation of Margelan radish, their solution and prevention.
Features of planting a plant
Reference. Unpretentious to soil fertility, Chinese radish grows everywhere, but it gives the best fruits on loamy and medium loamy, fertile, loose, moisture-permeable soils.
Features of vegetable cultivation:
- Prefers soil with a pH of 6-7 and a humus content of 4-5%.
- It is grown mainly in the open field - the film and closed ground are used to accelerate ripening.
- The seeds are distinguished by good germination, germinate on days 3–7 at t 2 ºC.
- Seedlings tolerate frosts up to 4 ºC, adult plants - up to 7 ºC.
- Short-term drying of the soil during the period of fruit growth reduces the yield.
- Organic fertilizers are applied on nitrogen-poor soils - fresh manure for the previous crop, rotted - in the fall.
- With a lack of light and thickening of the crops, the growth of the fruit stops - the radish blooms prematurely.
When is it usually planted?
In Russia, depending on the region, Chinese radish is sown from the 2nd decade of July to the 1st decade of August.
Read more about when to plant Margelan radish outdoors or in a greenhouse here.
Compatibility with other cultures
Chinese radish is planted after crops, under which organic fertilizers were applied - melons and nightshades, as well as after green vegetables.
Compared to other root vegetables radish in the second half of the growing season consumes a lot of nitrogen and phosphorus, therefore, it is returned to its original place not earlier than after 3-4 years.
Chinese radish gets along well with legumes and nightshades, lettuce, strawberries, dill and parsley.
You should not plant Margelan radish next to onions and other types of onions.
Which varieties are more suitable?
Reference. Margelan radish Loba is subdivided into five varieties - white, green, purple-heart, red meat and purple.
In total, 25 varieties of Loba are entered in the State Register, recommended for cultivation on personal subsidiary plots in all cultivation zones.
|Late summer||Gourmet breakfast|
Depending on the variety the period from planting to harvest is 55–90 days. Root crops are juicy and sweet, round or cylindrical, weighing from 150 to 500 g. They do not differ in good keeping quality - from 60 to 200 days.
Chinese Loba radish seeds of various varieties from leading Russian producers, packed in 1 g each, costing from 17 rubles, indicating the period of use and supplied with instructions for growing, are purchased in specialized stores. Online stores offer professional weight seeds with delivery.
The timing depends on the soil and climatic characteristics of a particular area and varietal qualities. In the conditions of the Novosibirsk region, favorable conditions for the growth and filling of root crops are formed after June 30.
For the monsoon climate of Primorye, the best varieties are Lobah Raspberry Ball, Elephant Tusk, Harbin. Here, sowing is carried out using a ridge or bed technology in the third decade of July.
The best time for sowing Chinese radish in the Non-Black Earth Region is from the middle of the 1st decade to the 2nd decade of July.
Sowing in open ground
The procedure is as follows:
- The day before sowing, the seeds are soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate - 0.2 g of the drug is taken for 1 liter of water.
- Full seeds are sown.
- Since autumn, they do a deep digging of the soil - for 1 bayonet of a shovel. At the same time, 20 g per 1 m² of phosphorus-potassium fertilizers, humus or compost are applied - 2-3 kg per 1 m². For spring digging, 10 g per 1 m² of nitrogen fertilizers are applied, which can be replaced with ash - 150-200 g per 1 m². On narrow-profile ridges, seedlings appear faster and develop more actively due to the fact that at a depth of 10–20 cm the temperature rises by 1.5 ºC.
- Seeds are sown to a depth of 1.5–2.5 cm, 3 seeds per nest in moist soil. The highest yield is obtained if the planting density per 1 m² during harvesting is 14-15 plants.
- Sowing is carried out according to an ordinary scheme 45x30 or tape 60 + 25x30.
- The first thinning is carried out in the phase of 2 true leaves. Strong seedlings are transferred together with a lump of earth to empty places and must be watered.
- The second thinning - in the phase of 3-4 true leaves - leaves a distance between the seedlings of 25-30 cm.
- In dry weather, watered regularly, trying to keep the soil always moist.
Chinese radish is fed with complex mineral fertilizers when the fruit reaches a volume of 4–5 cm in diameter. For 10 liters, take 30–40 g of fertilizer. Varieties intended for summer consumption are fed twice, for winter consumption 3-4 times.
Important. The intervals between dressings are 10-12 days.
You can make a second top dressing with ash - 200 g per 1 m² under rain or watering.
From a cabbage flea, which damages radish seedlings, dusting the seedlings with ash mixed with tobacco dust helps. Weeds are regularly removed so that the plantings do not thicken. Loosening systematically. Easy hilling will help protect the fruit from slugs.
Summer varieties are harvested selectively, winter ones - in one harvest in clear weather before the onset of frost. The tops are cut to 0.5 cm without damaging the fruit.
Possible problems and difficulties
After sowing the radish, proper care is important. During the growing season, the root crops of the forehead can be severely damaged by the larvae of the cabbage fly.
Lack of warmth delays the formation of the fetus. In cold weather, the percentage of underdeveloped root crops increases. Temperatures above 30 are depressing - with prolonged heat, the plant may die.
Root crops grown on narrow-profile ridges, in comparison with those planted on a flat surface, accumulate more sugars and dry matter, nitrates - much less.
Chinese radish is susceptible to cruciferous keel - the most harmful disease. The alternation of drought and abundant watering is dangerous - it leads to flowering.
When watering, it is impossible to overmoisten the soil - bacteriosis may develop. When stored in containers with sand, the root crops of the forehead are the least affected by white, gray and bacterial rot.
Chinese forehead radish, which has high nutritional and healing properties, is successfully grown in repeated crops.