We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Everyone wants to decorate their site, make it cozy. One of the most beautiful ornamental plants is verbena.
It spreads along the ground in a beautiful pattern, and becomes an interesting and unusual highlight of a flower bed, flower garden or border.
Also, the plant is quite unpretentious in care, and even a novice gardener can decorate his site with it. In the article we will tell you what are the features of this species, how to properly care for and transplant a plant.
What is this herb for outdoor use?
Verbena finely dissected is a plant from the Verbena family. Ancient peoples attributed magical properties to this flower.
America is considered the homeland of the shrub, but some species grow in Eurasia. it the plant is perennial, but outdoors it is cultivated as an annual, since does not withstand winter cold. This type of verbena has beautiful bright flowers, so it is used for decorative purposes. This species is also called hybrid vervain.
Features of the view
Verbena hybrid has two varieties.
Large-flowered or mammoth
- The height of the bush is 40-50 cm.
- Creeping stem.
- Large flowers.
- The height of the bush is 20-30 cm.
- Erect, low stems.
- Small bushes.
- Forms dense bushes.
Both varieties bloom with pink, white, lilac flowers of the correct shape, which are collected in large cushion-shaped inflorescences.
Interesting: the species received its name for the strongly dissected shape of the leaves.
The plant is considered to be strong-smelling, flowering is long and lasts until the very frost. The root is compact, so this variety is suitable for growing in pots.
Conditions of detention
- Lighting. Verbena is a light-loving plant. She is not afraid of direct sunlight, the main condition is a large amount of sunlight.
- Air and temperature. The variety does not tolerate frost, therefore it is grown in the middle lane as an annual, but blooms in the southern latitudes until October. The optimum temperature for keeping in the open field is + 21- + 24 degrees.
- The soil. The best option for verbena is fertile loam. The soil must be well drained, because stagnation of water is fatal for a plant. Also, after watering, you should slightly loosen the soil. Before flowering, you need to get rid of weeds.
- Watering. Verbena is quite hygrophilous, but it is important to prevent rotting of the root system. Water the plant regularly and prevent the substrate from drying out. By the end of the season, when the heat has subsided, it will be sufficient to simply keep the soil moist.
- Top dressing. Top dressing is recommended 3-4 times per season, watering the plant with warm water with fertilizers dissolved in it. Complex mineral fertilizers are used, but you should not oversaturate the soil with nitrogen - the plant will increase the green mass to the detriment of flowers. Organic fertilizers are used once per season; manure or compost can be applied.
Planting and transplanting
- Before planting, the seeds are soaked in water overnight.
- Seeds for seedlings are placed in light humus or sand. The container with seedlings is placed in a warm, well-lit place.
Seed germination is rather low - about 30% germinate.
- It is enough to spray seedlings as the soil dries. Sprouts appear 20-30 days after planting.
- Seedlings are planted in the ground only when a sufficiently warm temperature is established, otherwise the plant will die. In the middle lane, this weather usually occurs at the end of May.
- A well-lit place is selected in the ground and holes are prepared at a distance of about 30 cm from each other.
- For disinfection, the soil is treated with a fungicide.
- Water is poured into the holes and after it leaves, drainage is laid (crushed stone, gravel).
- Transplant seedlings together with the soil in which the plant grew, so as not to damage the root system.
- After planting, soil is poured around the stem and tamped a little.
Attention: after planting, regular watering is needed - this way the plant will take root faster.
Read more about the basic rules of planting and caring for vervain here.
Verbena propagates in two ways: seeds and cuttings.
With the help of seeds, seedlings are grown, which are later planted in open ground. The detailed use of this method is described in the previous section. Verbena is a dioecious plant and pollinates itself.
Read more about growing and reproducing verbena from seeds and cuttings in this article.
Cuttings are harvested in the fall.
- At the end of the season, the plant is dug up together with the ground (so as not to damage the roots), transferred to a dark, cool room and stored all winter at a temperature of + 8- + 10 degrees.
- In April, the procedure is usually carried out: the top is cut off from the cutting, several lower pairs of leaves and placed in a nutritious soil.
- After about a month, the seedlings take root and are transplanted into open ground.
Diseases and problems
Any disease is easier to prevent than to cure, preventive measures:
- disinfection with fungicide of soil before planting;
- compliance with sowing conditions, temperature, illumination;
- moderate humidity and avoidance of waterlogging.
The problem and the way to solve it:
- Powdery mildew: develops with excessive watering. To prevent waterlogging, you can use soil mulching using the leaves of the verbena itself. If the plant is still sick, then it is sprayed with garlic tincture. damaged areas are removed so as not to infect healthy plants.
- Spider mites: the plant is treated with a solution of acaricides, among them the safest is phytoverm. The processing is carried out several times.
- Aphid: use of insecticides is recommended.
- Gray rot: damaged areas are immediately removed. Uninfected plants are treated with Ordan's solution.
- Blackleg: appears if the soil is waterlogged. Infected plants are removed and mulching is carried out to reduce waterlogging.
Ancient peoples attributed magical properties to vervain, considered it the flower of Venus - the goddess of beauty. It is not that difficult to grow this really beautiful, beautiful plant, and verbena will delight the eye all summer long.