We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Daikon, a close relative of radish and radish, has specific important economic and biological characteristics, which affects the conduct of agrotechnical cultivation measures.
What varieties and hybrids exist and how to plant a root crop with seeds, we will tell you later in the article. We will also talk about the nuances that gardeners face when growing and caring for this vegetable.
The best yields of daikon are formed on light fertile soils with deep groundwater. A good harvest requires deep autumn and spring tillage. On heavy loamy soils, high-quality root crops can be obtained if varieties with weakly submerged roots are planted on the ridges - no more than half the length.
During the growing season, 5-6 waterings are carried out... Irrigation rate for 10 m² - 350 liters of water. Before planting, the seeds are soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate - 0.2 g per 1 liter of water. When the air humidity is less than 60%, the development of root crops is delayed - the formation of woody elements and the accumulation of bitterness increase.
Compatibility with other cultures
Daikon can be cultivated after any crop, with the exception of representatives of the Cabbage family, with which it has common diseases and pests. Best predecessors:
Daikon can be combined with other cultures and grow it in dense plantings. No negative influence of daikon on the yield of other crops was noted. On the slopes of high ridges (35-40 cm), sow:
In re-culture, daikon is cultivated after harvest:
- early vegetables;
Daikon is planted in open ground in the 2nd decade of May, 2nd decade of June, 2nd and 3rd decade of July. Indoors are sown in the 3rd decade of February.
Reference! In the early stages of planting, the mass of the root crop is higher, and the yield is lower, since the early planted daikon is more prone to flowering.
Varieties and hybrids
In the process of selection, more than 700 varieties and hybrids have been created, differing in early maturity, shape and size of the fruit, immersion in the soil. For central Russia, varieties for greenhouses are recommended - Sasha, for open ground:
- The Dragon;
- Moscow hero.
Table. Characteristics of daikon varieties and hybrids
|Variety||Fruit weight (kg)||The form|
|Early maturing - growing season 30-60 days|
|Misato's pink glitter||0,5–0,9||Rounded or flat-rounded|
|Medium early with a growing season of 60 to 70 days:|
|Mino Same Kros F₁||0,4–0,5||Conical|
|Autumn handsome||0,3–0,42||Elongated elliptical|
|Mid-season - 70-85 days|
|Elephant fang||0,3–0,6||Elongated cylindrical|
Early maturing varieties, such as Sasha, Barchonok, Rhino, are sown in two terms - in April in a greenhouse, in open ground in the 2nd decade of July. The Minovasi and Sasha varieties are the most resistant to flowering.
Daikon seeds can be purchased at specialized stores. or order from online stores. The cost of 1 g of seeds in Moscow and St. Petersburg - depending on the variety and quantity - from 16 rubles per 1 g. 1 g of seeds contains from 90 to 140 pieces.
How to plant root crops with seeds?
In Europe, Japanese radish is mainly grown outdoors. To accelerate ripening, you can use a film or covered ground.
Step-by-step instructions on how to plant seeds in open ground:
- Choose a place that is protected from the winds and well-lit by the sun.
- After plowing and harrowing, provocative watering is carried out - irrigation furrows are cut and water is passed through them. Weed shoots that have appeared after watering are destroyed by shallow plowing without turning the layer.
- For 1 m², 500 g of superphosphate and 250 g of potassium salt are introduced - for autumn digging, before sowing and as top dressing, 300 g of ammonium nitrate. Organic fertilizers are applied under the previous crop.
- In open ground, seeds are planted to a depth: on mineral soils - 1–2 cm, on peat bog soils - 2–3 cm. In the second half of July, seeds are sown to obtain an autumn harvest.
- So that the plants do not shade each other, a sowing scheme of 30 × 20 cm is used. 4 rows of daikon are placed on a 1.8 cm wide ridge with a standing density of 10-11 plants per 1 m². On a ridge 1.2 m wide, they are planted in 2 rows 60–70 cm apart from each other. The distance between plants is 20–25 cm.
- Seeds are sown in a nesting way - 2-3 per hole.
- After sowing, the soil is compacted and mulched with peat or sawdust in a layer of up to 1.5 cm. Seedlings appear on 4–7 days.
- In the phase of 1–2 true leaves, the strongest plant is left, the rest are removed or transplanted to the place of the dead. At the same time, the first feeding is done, the second after 2 weeks.
- During the summer, they weed and loosen the soil 2-3 times between the rows: first to a depth of 14 cm, then, so as not to damage the fruit, to a shallower depth.
- Starting from the moment of thinning, they are fed with organic or mineral dressings. The first feeding after thinning is an infusion of mullein, diluted 1:10, with the addition of 15 g of urea per 10 liters of solution. The second feeding at the beginning of fruit formation is chicken droppings 1:15 with a superphosphate extract (15 g per 10 l of solution). Foliar dressing with complex mineral fertilizers is effective.
Features of planting in protected ground:
- Sowing time in closed ground:
- 1 term - 2nd and 3rd decades of January;
- 2nd term - 3rd decade of February;
- 3rd term - 2nd and 3rd ten days of March.
The most favorable is the 3rd sowing date.
- Sowing seeds is carried out manually, 2-3 pieces in each well. Sowing pattern - 45 × 25 cm.
- Seedlings are weeded, at the same time they thin out the plants, leaving the most developed ones.
- The temperature regime is regulated: germination period - 12-15 ºC, fruit formation - 15-18 ºC. The relative humidity in the greenhouse is 60–65%.
- During the formation of root crops, they are regularly watered with warm water t 20-25 ºC.
- When 85% of plants reach technical ripeness, diseased and damaged fruits are removed.
Features of growing at home:
- In autumn, deep digging of the soil is carried out - at least 30 cm. Before the onset of winter, deep loosening of the soil is performed. Processing is carried out manually or using the "Mole" motor-cultivator, which processes the soil to a depth of 35 cm.
- The soil is filled with organic fertilizers in the fall - 5-10 kg per 1 m². Before planting, add nitrophosphate per 1 m² 50 g or a glass of wood ash.
- In the conditions of the Non-Black Earth Region, the beds are made 35–40 cm high.
- On large areas, the seeds are covered with soil using a flat cutter, lightly tamped and watered.
- Despite the fact that the tops can withstand temperatures down to 4 ºC, plantings in anticipation of frost should be covered with non-woven fabric or film.
- Root crops are harvested with a pitchfork or pulled out by hand.
Important: Varieties Sasha, Dubinushka, Minovashi, Pink shine Misato give good yields in the greenhouse.
In addition to direct sowing of seeds, the seedling method is used: in the 1st half of March, seeds of varieties with rounded or cylindrical roots are planted in containers with a depth of at least 10 cm. Upon reaching the phase of 3-4 true leaves, the seedlings are transferred with a clod of earth to a permanent place.
The nuances of caring for a vegetable
- To protect crops from cruciferous fleas, seedlings are pollinated 3-4 times with ash or tobacco dust at intervals of 4-5 days or covered with non-woven materials.
- The soil for the daikon must be deeply processed - otherwise, any obstacle to the growth of the root crop becomes the cause of the curvature of the fruit.
- Organic fertilizers applied immediately before sowing reduce the presentation - curved fruits are formed.
- With a day length of more than 15 hours, the formation of a root crop is delayed in the daikon.
- With early sowing, when a long day is combined with low average daily air temperatures, there is less flowering than when sowing in June.
- The daikon can be sown in its original place not earlier than after 4–5 years.
Fragile and delicate daikon root vegetables require careful handling... If the soil is thoroughly and deeply cultivated, you will not need a shovel or digging tools during harvesting. At the end of July, when the site is free of garden crops, you can plant daikon seeds in empty beds and get a rich harvest in September.
We offer you to watch the video on how to sow daikon: