We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Red cabbage is suitable for a wide variety of dishes. It can be boiled, stewed, prepared fresh salads, fermented and salted. This is a very tasty vegetable, which is also very healthy and low in calories.
Cabbage is especially tasty when pickled. There are many ways to make pickled cabbage.
In our article, we will share the best recipes for preparing this delicious vegetable by pickling. You can also watch a useful and interesting video on this topic.
What is pickling?
Attention: Pickling is a canning recipe based on the acid's ability to inhibit the activity of most microorganisms. Lemon or kiwi juice, wine, apple, balsamic vinegars, table vinegar, and some varieties of dry wine are used as acid in the marinades.
The peculiarities of pickling are the direct addition of acid to the product.... While during fermentation and salting, acid is produced by microorganisms that cause the fermentation process.
Benefit and harm
The chemical composition of red cabbage is almost the same as white cabbage. The red-purple and even bluish color of its leaves is given by the anthocyanin contained in them. Because of it, the cabbage has a sharper taste. Its beneficial effect is as follows:
- positively affects the condition of the walls of blood vessels, increases their strength and elasticity;
- gently normalizes blood pressure, which is why it is useful to take red cabbage for hypertensive patients;
- promotes the elimination of excess free radicals from the body, has a pronounced antioxidant effect;
- prevents the development of malignant tumors.
Besides, the selenium contained in the leaves normalizes the thyroid gland, enriches muscle tissue with oxygen, removes toxins... Fiber, useful in all respects, contains almost 1.5 times more than ordinary white cabbage.
Phytoncides, which are not found in ordinary cabbage, are presented in large quantities in red cabbage. Red cabbage juice has long been used in the treatment of bronchitis and asthma. The increased content of bactericidal elements has a wound healing effect.
The content of vitamin C exceeds the indications of white cabbage by more than 4 times! In addition, a record low calorie content - only 26 kcal per 100 grams - put red cabbage in first place among all vegetables we know by this indicator.
- Protein - 3 kcal (12%).
- Fat - 3 kcal (12%).
- Carbohydrates - 20 kcal (76%).
When eating red cabbage, remember - the risk of gaining weight is practically zero.! However, nutritionists do not recommend getting too carried away with this product. The approximate daily dose is calculated in the range of 200-300 grams.
- The main reason for rejecting red cabbage is only its individual intolerance.
- In addition, people with bowel disease should be aware that fiber can be harmful. In this case, cabbage should be eaten boiled.
- It is best to remove the upper leaves and stump, as they usually accumulate most of the nitrates.
In a hot marinade
Typically, a hot marinade is used to make pickled cabbage. You can also prepare an especially tasty dish by adding pepper, beets and various spices to the cabbage. Let's consider all the options in more detail.
- Red cabbage - 5-6 kg (3 heads of cabbage).
- Garlic - 3 cloves.
- Salt - 1 tablespoon (to taste).
- Water - 1.5 liters.
- Sugar - 2 tablespoons.
- Vinegar 9% - 0.5 l.
Cloves, not too hot peppers, bay leaves, caraway seeds, coriander go well with red cabbage.
How to cook:
- First of all, remove the top leaves and remove the stump. For convenience, we cut the heads of cabbage into two parts.
- Finely chop the cabbage, keeping in mind its denser fiber. The width of the strips should not exceed 0.5 cm. Put the finished cabbage in a basin.
- Cut the garlic into thin slices.
- Add salt, garlic, herbs, pepper (if necessary) to the cabbage, mix well.
Advice: Red cabbage is harder than white cabbage. However, it is also 90% water. If you want it to retain crunchiness when eating, do not wrinkle it, try not to press when laying it in a container so that it fits as much as possible. Then its natural structure will be preserved.
Cooking the marinade:
- Dissolve sugar in hot water, add vinegar, add spices (for example, cloves), bring to a boil.
- Put the cabbage tightly, but without pressure, into the jars.
- Fill with hot marinade.
- We cover the jars with gauze, keep for 3 days at room temperature.
- We close with plastic lids and take out the cans to a cold place.
We recommend watching a video about pickling red cabbage according to the classic recipe:
According to recipes, you can marinate cabbage with various vegetables - with beets, carrots, onions. They will not only give the marinade an unusual color, but also add specific notes to the taste of the finished product.
How to cook:
- Cut the cabbage into small squares.
- Add salt not to the cabbage, but to the marinade.
- Mix vegetables, add thinly chopped garlic and place tightly in jars.
- Fill with hot marinade.
- Cover with gauze.
- After a day, the finished product can be served on the table, or removed to a cold place until better times.
Slice the beets and carrots thinly. You can just grate the vegetables on a coarse grater.
Read about how to cook red cabbage with beets in Georgian style in this article.
We recommend watching a video about pickling red cabbage with beets:
To add pungency and piquancy to the dish, you can add red chilli to the cabbage.... The main thing here is not to overdo it, so that the pepper does not interrupt the main taste.
How to cook:
- We clean the fruit of seeds, cut out the inner partitions, cut off the stalks.
- We cut the pepper into rings no more than 0.5 centimeters thick.
- Add to the cabbage with stirring.
Then, as usual, we put it in jars, fill it with marinade, store it in the cold.
Cooking for the winter
The classic recipe will suit us here too. We take the cabbage, add other vegetables if desired, prepare the marinade. For long-term storage of cabbage, table vinegar is usually used.... Some replace it with citric acid. In this case, one teaspoon of acid is added not to the liquid, but directly to a three-liter jar of cabbage before pouring the marinade.
Another difference with long-term storage is that when cooking, add sunflower oil to the marinade, about 1 tablespoon for each prepared jar. We sterilize jars for the winter version, steam the lids. We roll up the cans and put them in a cool place. Basically, pickled cabbage is ready to eat, so you don't have to postpone sampling.
You can find out more delicious recipes for making red cabbage for the winter, as well as see photos of dishes, here.
The recipe for making very tasty and crispy red cabbage for the winter without sterilization is the same. Pour sunflower oil over the marinade to form a film. We close the jars with plastic lids... We transfer the cans to a cool place.
In 30 minutes in a hurry
How to pickle quickly and tasty? This quick recipe will take you no more than 30 minutes to cook delicious red cabbage using this quick recipe, and you will be ready to put this dish on the table in 4 hours!
- red cabbage - 2-3 kilograms;
- carrots - 2 pieces;
- garlic - 2 cloves;
- salt to taste.
How to cook:
- Finely chop the cabbage.
- We rub the carrots as for the dish "Korean carrots" - in thin long cubes.
- Press the garlic with a garlic.
- Mix everything, add 1 tablespoon of salt. We leave - let it be saturated with its own juice.
- Dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar in hot water (500 ml).
- Add vinegar 6% - 150 ml.
- Spices and herbs to taste.
- Bring to a boil, remove after 2-3 minutes.
- We filter the marinade to remove the spices that have given off their aroma.
Fill the cabbage with hot marinade. Let it cool to room temperature, put it in the refrigerator. Serve after 4 hours.
A quick recipe for how to cook red cabbage:
- cabbage - 1 small head of cabbage;
- salt - 1 tablespoon;
- sugar - 1 tablespoon;
- red pepper - on the tip of a teaspoon (to taste);
- greens - dill, parsley, cilantro.
How to cook:
- Cut the cabbage into large squares.
- Add chopped herbs, salt, sugar and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly, pressing lightly.
- We prepare a marinade for red cabbage, cut into large pieces, as in the previous recipe, just do not add sugar to it - we already have it.
- Bring the marinade to a boil and pour in the cabbage.
- Let it cool to room temperature.
- We serve to the table.
You can find out the best recipes for first courses with red cabbage, as well as see their photos, here, and in this article we examined various variations of delicious vegetable preparation at home and gave recommendations for table setting.
Pickled red cabbage can be served on the table both as an independent dish and in combination with other products. The "collage" in which there are red and white cabbage looks great. Top the dish can be decorated with pickled cucumbers and fresh herbs.