We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Cabbage is a very popular vegetable in Russia. And all because it contains many useful elements and has a relatively low cost.
Of course, there are people who do not like her for some personal reasons, this is especially common among children. But in most cases, cabbage in one form or another can be found in every family.
It is often used for medicinal purposes. Whether it helps or can harm diabetes, we find out below. Indeed, with such a disease, it is very important to follow the rules of nutrition. Let's consider whether or not it is possible to eat vegetables from the "cabbage family" for type 1 and 2 diabetes, and also show you how to cook them correctly.
Can diabetics eat this vegetable?
Diabetes mellitus is a disease associated with metabolic disorders, namely the improper absorption of glucose. The disease develops against the background of a lack of insulin and is divided into two types.
With the first type of disease
This type is characterized by complete dependence on insulin, since the body is not able to produce it on its own. Most common in children. In this disease, the following types of cabbage are useful.
- White-headed. A head of cabbage contains a sufficient amount of vitamin C, which, if stored correctly, does not disappear for eight months. It protects the circulatory system from damage, which is often the case with type 1 diabetes.
- Redhead (red). This variety of cabbage is similar to white cabbage, but has a characteristic purple color, as well as a doubled content of vitamin C and carotene. It has a similar set of macro- and microelements, which means it is also useful. But it has coarser fiber, so you can eat it, however, in smaller quantities and not every day.
- Colored. It is rich in amino acids. Absorbed almost completely without affecting sugar levels. Thanks to biologically active alcohols, it regulates high cholesterol and protein metabolism. For patients with both types, it is a must-have vegetable in the diet.
- Broccoli. Contains vegetable protein to suppress hunger for a long time. And it also optimizes the activity of the glands, which is important in diabetes.
- Kohlrabi. This cabbage, like its sisters, contains many useful things and is able to retain its benefits even after defrosting. It slows down the absorption of carbohydrates, supplies calcium, magnesium and potassium. It is indicated for those suffering from the first type of disease, especially in the winter season.
- Brussels. It is one of the most useful varieties. Similarly colored, rich in amino acids. Plus it contains an easily digestible protein, like broccoli. Therefore, having a low calorie content, it satiates well. Most for a diabetic.
- Chinese (Beijing). This salad is considered a source of longevity as it contains the amino acid lysine. It stimulates the immune system and purifies the blood. For people with the first type, these are important factors.
With the second type
A more common type of ailment that occurs in 90% of people with diabetes. More often it happens in people from thirty-five years old. Characterized by obesity, overeating with normal or elevated insulin levels. People with this type of diabetes are advised to follow the dietary rules and monitor the glycemic index of the food they eat.
Fortunately, all varieties of cabbage are considered dietary, which means they are suitable for consumption by overweight diabetics. But it should be noted that kohlrabi contains more sucrose than other varieties, therefore it stands out for its sweetish taste. However, it is not prohibited to eat it, it is simply recommended to use it in moderation no more than once a week.
Reference. The rest of the cabbage varieties can be consumed every day, as well as alternating.
Is there a difference in the cooking method?
Ideally, include raw cabbage in your diet. But there is not always such an opportunity, so it is allowed to cook and stew, as well as ferment. It is better to refuse frying, since this in most cases requires oil, which is a source of fat. And it is contraindicated in people with diabetes, especially the second type.
As for sauerkraut, the opinion of nutritionists and doctors is still not unambiguous. But the scales are tilting in the positive direction, because as a result of such processing, there are even more nutrients in cabbage. In the process of fermentation, the content of ascorbic acid increases, while the low calorie content and low glycemic index are preserved.
Useful properties of the product
It is worth noting that any varieties of cabbage are recommended for consumption by people with both types of diabetes, as they have the following advantages:
- rich in vitamins, minerals, phytoncides and enzymes;
- lower cholesterol levels;
- make a person's own enzymes work, improving the quality of food digestion;
- stimulate the general metabolism;
- activate the functioning of the pancreas, due to this, the level of sugar in the blood decreases;
- help to reduce weight;
- beneficial effect on the work of blood vessels and the heart, which are heavily loaded due to illness;
- increase the body's resistance to bacteria and infections.
Some of the positive points listed above seem to be indirect in relation to diabetes.
On a note. People suffering from this ailment are susceptible to both a general weakening of the immune system and a decrease in the effective work of other systems and organs. Therefore, the use of cabbage will serve as a good support for the body.
Delicious soup recipe
Since there are many recipes for diabetics from white cabbage, red, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, and broccoli for diabetics, we will tell you about how to make a diet kohlrabi soup.
- minced chicken or beef - 500 grams;
- celery - 50 grams;
- carrots - 50 grams;
- medium-sized onion;
- kohlrabi - 200 grams;
- salt, pepper, seasonings to taste;
- sweet pepper - 1 piece;
- fresh herbs;
- water - 2 liters.
- Wash and peel all vegetables.
- Put water on fire.
- Finely chop the onion, stir in the minced meat together with salt and spices, form the meatballs.
- Grate carrots, celery, kohlrabi and pepper cut into strips.
- Dip the meatballs into boiling water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cook for at least fifteen minutes (you can cook beef longer).
- Add vegetables, spices and salt, cook for another fifteen minutes.
- When serving, sprinkle with fresh chopped herbs.
Cabbage is a very healthy vegetable, especially for diabetics. Therefore, it is undoubtedly worth including it in the diet for such a disease. And so that she does not get bored, you need to experiment with different varieties and cooking options. Do not forget about the possible harm that occurs with excessive use or improper combination with other products.