We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Sometimes the hostess needs to peel the potatoes in advance, and not 1-2 pieces. Especially when it comes to preparing for the holiday, which will be attended by many guests.
When storing potatoes, you need to remember that the peeled vegetable darkens very quickly, becomes covered with a dry crust and loses its taste when interacting with oxygen. There are several ways to prolong the "life" of this root crop.
But how to preserve it so that it does not darken and lose its taste? Can you keep it in water? Answers further.
Why does peelless potatoes darken quickly when exposed to air?
Peeled potatoes, when exposed to air, after a certain time begin to turn black... This is due to the following factors:
- Raw tubers contain sugar (about 0.9%). Interacting with amino acids, it breaks down, as a result of which the organoleptic properties of vegetables change: taste, color and smell. Accordingly, the lower the sugar content in the potatoes, the longer the tubers will be stored.
- It is also rich in trace elements: iron, potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, etc. When interacting with oxygen, they oxidize, and the potato begins to darken.
ATTENTION: Peeled potatoes, bought in a store, which are grown on a commercial scale on nitrogen fertilizers, begin to darken faster. Homemade potatoes from their own summer cottage may not darken in the air for about 2 hours.
To slow the browning of peeled root vegetables, there are several tried and tested methods that can be applied in a typical kitchen.
Storage at room temperature
Most a common way to keep peeled potatoes from browning is to place them in a pot of cold water... This will preserve the vegetable's taste and appearance.
It is worth knowing that the vitamins and minerals that potatoes are rich in gradually dissolve in water. To prevent this, the tubers should be kept whole in water and cut immediately before cooking.
Country potatoes in such conditions can be stored for 3-4 hours, and store potatoes, about 2-3 hours... Staying peeled potatoes in water at room temperature for longer than these periods will lead to the loss of all the beneficial properties of the product.
How to do it:
- Fill a pot with cold water.
- Peel and rinse the tubers well.
- Place the vegetables in the water so that it covers them completely.
- Place the lid on the dish.
Placing peeled potatoes in cold water will help extend their shelf life. How long can peeled potatoes be kept in the refrigerator? At low temperatures, it will not lose its qualities for 24 hours... Keeping potatoes longer this way will make them more watery and practically tasteless.
How to do it:
- Pour cold water into any deep container.
- Rinse the peeled fruit.
- Place the tubers in the water.
- Place the dishes in the refrigerator.
- Before cooking, the vegetable must be washed again under a cold stream.
You can learn more about storing peeled potatoes here, and more about storing raw, boiled and fried potatoes in the refrigerator can be found here.
Can I freeze?
The longest and most effective method of preserving peeled potato tubers is to freeze them at temperatures as low as -18 ° C.
This can be done in several ways. Under the right conditions, shelf life can be up to several months.... But remember that thawed potatoes cannot be re-frozen.
To freeze whole peeled potatoes, it is better to take small tubers. But too large potatoes can be simply cut in half before freezing.
How to do it:
- Peel and wash the potatoes.
- Dry the fruit with a tea towel.
- Fold gently in a plastic bag or wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in the freezer, in the vegetable section.
To prepare a semi-finished product, you need to do the following:
- Peel the potatoes.
- Wash in cold water.
- Dry well with a towel.
- Cut the tubers into bars or wedges.
- Salt the food to avoid blanching when frozen.
- Arrange the potatoes in 1 layer on a tray and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place the potato tray in the freezer.
Important! Do not defrost potatoes before cooking. Once out of the freezer, cook it right away.
How to extend the shelf life of root crops?
Experienced housewives know that there are simple ways to extend the shelf life of peeled potatoes.:
- You can add a slice of lemon or citric acid at the tip of a knife to the water with the peeled tubers.
- Deep shock freezing at temperatures down to -30 ° C makes potatoes practically unlimited.
- Vacuuming the tubers before freezing also helps keep vegetables for several months.
Surely, many have come across a situation when it is necessary to peel a considerable amount of potatoes in advance for future use, because after work there is simply not enough time to do it right before cooking. In this case, the methods described above for storing peeled potatoes will come in handy.