We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Potatoes are a dish that no festive table can do without. In many families, it is consumed once a week, or even more often.
The storage conditions for this vegetable are quite simple, do not require special costs and do not take much time. The main thing is to follow certain rules and then fresh potatoes will delight you until spring.
In this article, we will talk about the storage features of early and late potato varieties. We will also show you in what conditions this vegetable should be kept, what to do if it has deteriorated, and how to choose the right storage room.
How much can you store?
It is known that there is a lot of starch in potatoes, which begins to decay over time, respectively, the vegetable itself deteriorates. For long-term storage of potatoes, it is necessary to prevent factors that contribute to the premature breakdown of starch. The time frame for preservation depends on the degree of maturity of the vegetable, the variety and storage conditions., range from 1 week to 10 months.
Features for early varieties
Fresh potatoes are commercially available in early summer. Keep these varieties in a cool place, such as a pantry or refrigerator. The main thing is that the sun's rays do not fall on the vegetable.
The root vegetable remains tasty and healthy for 10 to 20 days.
Important! Fruits of early species can be suitable until the first winter months, since for 3-4 months the vegetable loses its elasticity, usefulness and taste.
The shelf life of late and medium-sized potato varieties is determined by GOST... On average, the storage time ranges from 4 to 7 months at a storage temperature not higher than + 6º. There are varieties that do not lose useful properties for a long time - about 7 months at a temperature of + 5º:
- Gatchinsky 1;
- Canteen 19;
In order for potatoes to be consumed until spring, they must be properly sorted by size, degree of ripeness and variety, and damaged or sprouted ones must be separated. It is important to dry the vegetable, because moisture contributes to the breakdown of starch..
In order for the fruit to remain good according to the shelf life, the following rules must be observed.
Potato storage rules:
- It is not necessary to wash the potatoes before storage, this will trigger the decomposition mechanism.
- Clear the ground as much as possible.
- It is not recommended to store different varieties of this vegetable together. In the process of decomposition of one variety, the others also deteriorate.
- Storing potatoes with other vegetables is undesirable.
- If there are a lot of potatoes, then it must be periodically turned over and revised in order to remove vegetables with traces of festering in time.
- It is undesirable to store the fetus in the refrigerator.
- Storage temperature should not exceed 7º, humidity should not be more than 75%.
- When sprouts appear, you need to remove them.
It is known that potatoes can remain edible for up to 10 months, for this you need to follow the rules. The storage room must be cleaned, ventilated and dried two weeks before storage begins. The best place for these vegetables is a wooden box with holes.
If you put apples on top of potatoes, they will prevent sprouting., but this method is only recommended for the first 6-8 weeks. It is important to extract sprouted or rotten fruits in a timely manner.
Attention! If the tubers are wet, but not shriveled, they should be laid out and dried.
Conditions of detention
So that the potatoes do not spoil for a long time, it is necessary to create certain conditions.:
- air temperature 3-4º, during the warming period should be lowered to 1-2º;
- indoor humidity not more than 80%;
- air ventilation (if the air in the storage room does not circulate, the tubers begin to lose their beneficial properties, become soft and turn black);
- the storage room must be dark;
- constant inspection and sorting.
We wrote here about the temperature at which potatoes should be stored, and from this article you can find out what conditions must be created for storing a vegetable in winter.
Choosing a suitable room
The main path on the way to long-term storage is the choice of the room. Not everyone has their own basement; many store potatoes on the balcony. Despite this, it is possible to create conditions under which this vegetable does not germinate, turn black and shrink for a long time. It is important that there is a thermometer and a device for measuring air humidity in the storage room.
- Cellar... You need to fill potatoes no higher than a meter and cover with burlap. It is not advisable to put potatoes on the floor. The temperature in the basement should be reduced gradually. It is advisable to sort once a month, choosing sprouted or rotten vegetables. Ventilation or periodic ventilation is important.
- Pit... In order to store potatoes in a pit, you must first choose a place and do it right. The earth should not be wet and viscous, groundwater is important, they should be located as far as possible. The depth of the pit should be 1 meter, width 1.5 - 2 meters.
At the bottom of the pit, you need to place straw, then potatoes and again straw, put boards on top and then bury it with earth by 20 centimeters. When it gets colder, the layer of earth is increased to 70 centimeters.
- Balcony... In order for the vegetables to be stored for a long time, it is enough to place them in a wooden box and wrap them with a blanket. It would be better to build a storage in the form of a box with a lid made of ordinary boards.
Reference! In order to prevent moisture, it is advisable to paint the box. A broken refrigerator can also be an excellent storage facility. It is worth putting it with the lid up and covering it with sacking during severe frosts.
Read more about where to store potatoes here.
What happens if I am late?
If the potatoes are rotten, shriveled, etc., then they should be thrown away. A spoiled product contains no nutrients and vitamins. Eating an expired vegetable is fraught with gastrointestinal upset and poisoning.
Signs of expired potatoes:
- green peel;
- shoots (more than 2 per vegetable);
- blackness inside;
- the presence of rot.
Why potatoes during storage can turn green, turn black, germinate and undergo various diseases, we talked about in a separate article.
Everything has its own term. As for potatoes, adherence to simple storage rules allows you to feast on dishes from it all year round. The main thing is to observe the integrity of the vegetable and not eat it spoiled. Be healthy!
In this video, you will learn about the main mistakes when storing potatoes: