We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The quality of the potato crop is highly dependent on the choice of top dressing. Experienced summer residents and farmers know perfectly well the secret of the best fertilization, as well as preparing the land for sowing and increasing yields.
Potatoes are very sensitive to lack of additional nutrients during tuberization.
In this article, we will look at how, with what and in what quantities it is best to fertilize potatoes.
Why fertilize the soil for potatoes?
A photophilous agricultural potato crop needs three elements - potassium, nitrogen and phosphorus. Most of the nutrients are required for potatoes during the formation of tubers and vegetation. The yield of this agricultural crop directly depends on the introduction of top dressing into the soil and on the correct preparation of this very soil.
Pros and cons of different types of feeding
When talking about the pros and cons of feeding potatoes, there are several factors to consider.
- Organic fertilizers alone will not be able to achieve good yields.
- When the quality of the soil improves with manure or bird droppings, there is a high probability of infecting the entire crop with a scab or beetle larva.
- If you feed the soil exclusively with mineral fertilizers, over time this will lead to oppression of the plant and "burnout" of the soil.
So when planting potatoes, you should use an integrated approach and use multiple methods of feeding.
How to fertilize the soil in spring?
Before you start planting potatoes in the spring, it is necessary to add a number of special agents to the soil:
- urea (kilogram per hundred square meters of land);
- nitrophoska (five kilograms per hundred square meters);
- nitroammofoska (three kilograms per hundred square meters);
- ammonium nitrate (kilogram per hundred square meters of land).
What and how to add to the hole before planting tubers?
On a note. Dosage: you need to prepare wood ash at the rate of 250g per hole. Mineral fertilizers need one tablespoon per hole.
When planting potatoes:
- Preparing the solution. We take copper, boric acid and manganese in equal parts by half a gram and dissolve in 1.5 liters of water. Dip the potato tubers into the solution and let stand for about three hours.
- In each hole we add 250 g of wood ash to a depth of 20 cm. Then we sprinkle a couple of centimeters of loose earth so that the roots of the potatoes do not get burned.
- We apply mineral fertilizers in 1 tbsp. spoon into the hole. Planting depth is no more than 6 cm.
- When shoots appear, in the first half of May, you need to fertilize the bushes with a urea solution. Dilute 30 g of urea for 15 liters of water and add half a liter per well. This will strengthen the still underdeveloped root system of the potato.
What fertilizing is carried out after planting work?
After planting potatoes in the ground, two more stages of fertilization will be required - top dressing. The first feeding should be done during bud formation, before flowering. For this:
- mix 20 g of wood ash with 30 g of potassium sulfate;
- dilute the mixture in 15 liters of water;
- about a liter of solution is poured under each bush.
Once the buds are formed and the potatoes have bloomed, tuber formation will need to be accelerated. To do this, mix 2 tbsp. tablespoons of superphosphate with 250 ml of mushy manure and insist for half an hour. We dilute the finished mixture in 10 liters of water and add half a liter under the bush. There is no need to fertilize more potatoes.
When planting any agricultural crop, you need to adhere to the main rule - do no harm. Remember not to overfeed. This negatively affects not only the yield, but also the taste of the potatoes. If you don't understand mineral fertilizers yet, give preference to ordinary ash and manure. And over time, the experience of using complex fertilizers will come, which will help to harvest an excellent potato crop from your site.
Read more about what and how to fertilize potatoes when planting in a hole and in the future, read here.
From the video you will find out what fertilizers potatoes need and what needs to be added to the hole when planting: