We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Cabbage Moscow late - one of the oldest varieties of white cabbage. Domestic breeders received the variety in 1937; it was entered into the State Register in 1943.
This variety is distinguished by a dense head of cabbage, which has a round or flat-rounded shape. On the cut of the forks are yellow-white. The average weight of a head of cabbage is about 7 kg. But with proper care and excellent weather conditions, it is possible to grow specimens weighing up to 12 kg in a summer cottage. The inner stump is of medium length, and the outer one is high.
Despite the long term of breeding, the variety consistently pleases farmers with high yield rates, excellent taste and resistance to environmental conditions. What are the other features and differences of Moscow late cabbage?
The variety is acid-resistant, has a high immunity to many "cabbage" diseases. The culture is unpretentious in care and cultivation, does not require constant monitoring. Heads of cabbage love moisture, require abundant watering, especially in early spring.
Moscow late belongs to the cruciferous family, is a two-year crop. We talked about late varieties of cabbage here.
The following features are characteristic:
- The root system is fusiform, branched.
- Stems are erect or branched. The stem reaches a height of 15-20 cm.
- The leaves are arranged alternately, the lowest ones form a rosette. The lower leaves are spreading, the upper ones are layered on each other - sessile.
- Sheet size from 4 to 15 cm.
- The shape of the leaves is elongated, round, wide.
The head of cabbage is round, dense, does not undergo cracking... If you cut it, you can see the white-yellow middle. The leaves are tightly adjacent to each other, have a gray-green color. The weight of a head of cabbage reaches 7-9 kg. Productivity 12 kg per 1 sq.m.
A brief history of breeding
Late Moscow cabbage was bred in 1937 at the All-Russian Research Institute. The progenitor of this variety was the Pyshkinsky cabbage.
Reference! Bred Moscow late breeders Alekseev and Klapst. In 1943, the variety was entered into the State Register and entered into the mass consumption turnover.
Below you can see what this variety looks like.
The main feature of cabbage - high content of sugars and acids, including ascorbic acid. Heads of cabbage are distinguished by a high level of keeping quality, they are resistant to cracking and decay.
Other distinctive features:
|Differs in a high level of productivity. The volume varies from 10 to 12 kg per 1 sq. M.||Feature - versatility: equally suitable for salting and fresh consumption.|
Advantages and disadvantages
The main advantage of the variety is its high yield.... The benefits also include:
- resistance to disease and cracking;
- preservation of commercial qualities during transportation;
- composition rich in vitamins and acids;
- high level of keeping quality;
- excellent tolerance to temperature changes.
Among the comparative disadvantages:
- frequent and abundant watering, the need for large areas for planting (recommended scheme 80x80 cm);
- due to the large size of the head of cabbage, it is imperative to huddle the bushes - this will prevent falling on its side.
List of similar varieties
Late cabbage is in high demand among gardeners. Late varieties are enriched with vitamins and sugars, are distinguished by high keeping quality and endurance to diseases, pests, and decay.
You can replace Moscow late varieties with other similar late varieties.:
- Amager 611... Differs in bitterness - it is a natural defense against pests. After harvesting and storing it, the bitterness disappears. The weight of the heads of cabbage reaches 3 kg. Productivity up to 6.5 kg per 1 sq. M. We talked about Amager cabbage here.
- Aggressor... Late variety of cabbage. Bred in Holland (read about Dutch selection here). Does not require careful control during cultivation. The weight of the heads reaches 5 kg. Productivity from 8 to 9 kg.
- Mara... Resistant to temperature extremes, diseases, decay. Average weight - 4 kg.
- Kharkov winter... It tolerates temperature changes well. Weight reaches 4 kg. Productivity up to 9 kg from 1 sq.m.
- Wintering 1474... Has a long-term keeping period. Weight up to 3.5 kg. Productivity up to 6 kg.
How not to be mistaken when choosing a cabbage variety for fresh storage in winter, read here.
How to distinguish from other varieties?
The head of Moscow late has a round shape and an even creamy white color. What else should you pay attention to?
- The head of cabbage creaks in the hands.
- The leaves are dense, crunchy, tightly pressed against each other.
- When cut, the head of cabbage bursts like when cutting a watermelon.
- Juice is released after slicing.
Purpose of use
Attention! Cabbage of the Moscow late variety is processed fresh. Cabbage does not lose its taste even when salted. Due to its high keeping quality, the variety is suitable for winter storage.
Many housewives prefer to cook popular dishes from this variety.:
- stewed cabbage;
- fry with vegetables;
- cook cabbage soup or borscht;
- make salads from fresh vegetables;
- cook cabbage rolls.
So, Moscow late is considered one of the very first varieties of white cabbage.... Due to its many advantages, it does not lose its popularity among farmers today. Correct cultivation technology and timely harvest - compliance with these rules will allow you to enjoy the excellent taste and quality of heads of Moscow cabbage late even in winter.