We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Boric acid was also used by our grandmothers to treat various diseases. In modern medicine, it is used by ophthalmologists, dermatologists and otolaryngologists. It is most commonly used to treat ears. Typically, adults are treated with boric acid. As for children, there are different opinions on this matter.
Boric acid is an antiseptic. It actively creates an unfavorable environment for viruses and bacteria. This stops their distribution. It also removes inflammation and warms the site of inflammation. Thus, boric acid is excellent for treating ear disease.
However, it is important to consider that the substance is perfectly absorbed into the skin and easily enters the bloodstream. But removing it from the body is not so easy.
Is it possible to drip this remedy for children?
Before using boric acid for instillation in the ear, it is important for children to consult with a specialist. Since ear pain in children can occur for various reasons, treatment with boric acid is not always appropriate.
Important! Treatment with this substance can have a negative effect on the eardrum.
The instructions for use indicate that boric acid is not recommended for children under 14 years of age.... However, many otolaryngologists still prescribe it for the treatment of ears in children from 3 years of age. The doctor, relying on his professional experience and a specific case, can prescribe such treatment.
Boric acid is used to treat:
- external and otitis media;
- furunculosis of the ear canals.
Depending on the type of disease, the doctor may prescribe:
- instillation in the ears;
- compresses or turundas in the ear canal.
Also, for the treatment of otitis media, additional complex therapy will be prescribed, because boric acid alone is not enough.
- Age up to 14 years is strictly according to the indications of a doctor.
- Various kidney diseases.
- Allergic reactions to the components of the drug.
- If the tympanic membrane is damaged.
For the treatment of ENT diseases, the most commonly used solution of boric acid 3%... However, for young children, the concentration of the substance may be reduced. It is sold in bottles of 10 to 100 ml. However, it can also be found in powder form. It is packaged in 10gr or 25gr units. You can buy it at any pharmacy. And it is not expensive.
- In Moscow, powder can be purchased from 40 rubles, solution from 20 rubles.
- In St. Petersburg, the solution can be found from 15 rubles, powder from 40 rubles.
So, before you start instilling acid in your baby's ear, you need to consult a specialist... It is important not to listen to grandmothers and relatives at the time of illness of the child's ears, who assure that they have been treated this way all their lives and everything is fine.
Attention! Only the doctor decides to prescribe boric acid to be instilled into the child's ear, then, as a rule, this will not be the only treatment. Most likely, an additional course of antibacterial agents will be prescribed.
Boric acid attacks the bacteria that caused the disease, therefore, relieves inflammation and the child's pain subsides.
How to properly instill an antiseptic in the ear canal?
- The vial with boric acid solution must be warmed up. However, it is important to make sure that you need to warm up a little. It is best when the solution is warmed up to body temperature. You can warm it up by dropping the bottle briefly into warm water.
- The baby needs to be put on its side. Healthy ear down. At the same time, the child should be as comfortable as possible to lie.
- The ear must be carefully and thoroughly cleaned of impurities. For this, cotton wool with hydrogen peroxide is used.
- Drop a solution of 3% boric acid into the child's ear. The number of drops is prescribed by the doctor at his discretion. When instilling, it is recommended to slightly pull on the earlobe for better penetration of the medicine. Leave the baby to lie down for about 10 minutes.
- Wipe dry the rest of the medicine with a cotton swab or stick.
- Cover the ear canal with cotton wool.
- If both ears hurt, it is necessary to carry out the same operation on the other ear.
- The doctor prescribes a treatment regimen. Usually it is necessary to drip into the ear 2-3 times a day. The maximum instillation time does not exceed 7 days.
After 3-4 procedures after the start of instillation, pain disappears and discomfort disappears. But you should not stop treatment after the first positive results... It is important to follow the doctor's recommendations and bring the result to the end so that the disease does not recur again. If boric acid is available only in powder form. Then it must be properly diluted, following the instructions.
Reference! Instillation is not always used to treat ears. Also, a compress with boric acid relieves inflammation and pain in the ear. However, it is also prohibited for children under one year old. And you can apply such compresses only on the recommendation of a specialist. Often, this treatment is prescribed when it is shot in the ear.
Applying a compress
- Mix ingredients: boric acid and water. Their volume should be the same. For a compress, you need about 40 ml of the finished mixture.
- Test for an allergic reaction. If irritation does not start after 20-30 minutes, then a compress can be applied.
- For the compress, you need several pieces of cloth. You must first cut a hole in the middle of the fabric.
- Apply a dry strip of tissue to the sore ear. Thus, it will help prevent burns. Then we soak the second piece in a warm solution and put it on the ear.
- Cover the fabric with polyethylene.
- We lay polyethylene with cotton wool.
- We fix the resulting compress with a bandage.
- After a while, you need to wet the fabric again.
- The holding time of the compress is about 2 hours.
As a rule, the use of compresses is prescribed by a doctor in case of otitis media.... Turundas are prescribed for furunculosis of the ear canals.
How to treat with turundochek?
- Warm boric acid to room temperature.
- Moisten cotton wool in the solution and squeeze out a little.
- Insert gently into the ear canal and leave for several hours.
- After a while, it is necessary to pull out the turundas and put cotton wool in the ear so that bacteria do not get into.
Attention! Boric acid can be used in different ways depending on the cause of the disease. Parents need to know that although it has a good anti-inflammatory effect, its use can cause various side effects.
Read more about how to make turunda with boric acid for ear treatment and how to apply it here.
- Vomiting, nausea, dizziness.
- Violation of the kidneys.
- Skin rashes. Burns due to improper application of the compress.
Prescription of the drug depending on age
- In modern pharmaceuticals, there are many ways to heal the ears of babies. Therefore, boric acid is not prescribed for the treatment of newborns and children under one year old.
- If the child is 2 years old and the doctor considers it necessary to prescribe boric acid, then in such cases it is used in the hospital under the supervision of doctors. Not at home at all. Since boric acid is easily absorbed into the bloodstream, it is necessary to monitor its concentration so as not to poison the child.
- It is also not recommended for children aged 3 years to drip boric acid into the ear, although from the age of 3 the otolaryngologist can prescribe treatment with compresses, while the concentration will be small. And the holding time must be reduced to 1 hour.
- Starting from 4-5 years old, the doctor can prescribe not only compresses, but also turundas in the ears. Most often, turunda should be moistened with a diluted 3% solution.
- For children from 6-7 years old, the doctor can prescribe not only compresses and turunda in the ear canals, but also instillation in the ear with boric acid.
Most people find it difficult to distinguish between three substances with similar names - boric acid, boric alcohol and salicylic acid. What is the difference between these funds, and also whether boric acid can be used during pregnancy - read our materials.
When a child has ear pain, parents should remember that self-medication is not worth it, and even more so to use boric acid without a doctor's prescription. The fact that it was often prescribed to adults does not give grounds for using it for the treatment of a child. After all, ears are formed long after birth, and the structure of the ears is different from that of adults. Therefore, for safety in case of ear disease, a specialist consultation is always necessary.