We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Brussels sprouts are a very healthy vegetable that can decorate and diversify many dishes. Moreover, it is necessarily included in the diet of people who are losing weight, as well as pregnant women and children.
Despite its obvious benefits, not many people like the taste of Brussels sprouts. We believe that the reason for this is the inability to cook this vegetable correctly, to rid the cabbage of bitterness and, in general, to cook it correctly.
We share the secrets of time and the basic rules for cooking Brussels sprouts in a saucepan: how many minutes will the process take for a fresh and frozen vegetable, how to cook it correctly.
Do I need to defrost first?
Those who are going to cook Brussels sprouts often ask this question. Answer: no, if you are going to cook frozen cabbage, it does not need to be thawed before cooking.
- It is better to separate the heads of cabbage from the stem of Brussels sprouts right before use.
- Fresh cabbage should be washed well in a mixture of water and vinegar to wash out all dirt, sand and insects.
- Extreme, yellow leaves and leaves with darkening must be removed, the root cut off by a millimeter.
- It is advisable to make a cross cut on it: this will help to boil the cabbage more evenly.
For boiling Brussels sprouts, choose a fairly large pot., since the heads of cabbage increase slightly in the course of cooking.
- Frozen Brussels sprouts are placed in a saucepan and poured with cold water so that the water slightly covers the cabbage, then put on high heat. Fresh Brussels sprouts are placed in boiling water.
- Frozen Brussels sprouts are cooked for 10-12 minutes. How long will it take to boil a fresh vegetable in water? The countdown in this case begins after the water boils and is 5-7 minutes. It is best to cover the pot with a lid, as the sulfur compounds in Brussels sprouts may give off an unpleasant odor during cooking.
Add some sugar, a teaspoon of vinegar, and a pinch of salt to the water to remove the bitterness. Another way is to add various spices to the water. At the end of cooking, it is recommended to drop a little lemon juice into the water, this will help get rid of the specific smell.
Reference! It is better to undercooked Brussels sprouts than overcooked them, because overcooked Brussels sprouts will be too soft and may smell bad.
Moreover, with too long heat treatment, both the beneficial properties of cabbage and its taste deteriorate. Many housewives believe that it is worth keeping the cabbage in boiling water as long as possible, but this is a delusion.
- It is worth keeping an eye on the cooking time and staying close to the stove. The readiness of Brussels sprouts is easy to determine: just pierce the boiling heads with a fork. If the fork fits well into the cabbage, the cabbage is soft enough "to the touch," then it is ready and it is time to turn off the stove. It is advisable to immediately throw the cabbage into a colander, without overexposing it in hot water for the reason already described above.
If you put the Brussels sprouts in ice water immediately after boiling, they will turn bright green. It can decorate the dish, make it look more attractive.
Can it be eaten, including by children?
Of course! Eating boiled Brussels sprouts for food does not carry any harm, moreover, Brussels sprouts are very useful:
- it is rich in sulfur, potassium, vitamins C and B;
- it has a high protein content;
- it is also a good source of folate.
Pregnant women and children should also eat Brussels sprouts. (just because of folic acid). Brussels sprouts are suitable for the diet of those who are losing weight. Many nutritionists even advise adding Brussels sprouts to your daily diet!
Proper cooking will preserve all these excellent qualities. And, of course, Brussels sprouts, like all vegetables, are healthier boiled than fried. The other side of the issue is that boiled cabbage may not be very tasty. But if you combine it correctly with other foods, add spices, or just salt it well, you can fix it.
The main thing is not to overdo it, lest it turn out that trying to improve the taste of boiled Brussels sprouts made it more harmful than if you simply fried it. However, already boiled Brussels sprouts can be fried or baked.
A decoction from Brussels sprouts can be a good base for a vegetable soup.
Boiled vegetable recipes
Boiled cabbage can be added to salads, it can serve as a side dish for meat. After all, boiled cabbage can be fried and stewed / baked, and as such it appears in many recipes for various stews, soups, salads and casseroles.
Meat that goes well with Brussels sprouts:
You can learn how to prepare delicious Brussels sprouts with meat and other products here.
Boiled Brussels sprouts can also be served as an independent dish, if you squeeze a little garlic onto it and pour sour cream over it. And as a bonus, we offer you a recipe for a lean Brussels sprouts ragout with walnuts.
- Brussels sprouts - 0.4 kg.
- Onions - 2 pieces.
- Kernels of walnuts, pecans, or other nuts: 1/2 cup.
- Cranberries or lingonberries - 0.1 kg.
- Lemon - 1 piece.
- Vegetable oil.
- Boil Brussels sprouts according to the rules described in this article.
- Chop the onion and fry in a pan in vegetable oil.
- Cut the Brussels sprouts in half and add to the onions, also add the cranberries and nuts.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- After frying the onions, it is recommended to drain the vegetable oil and pour in new oil, since overcooked oil is extremely harmful.
- After cooking the stew, also drain the oil.
- Serve the stew hot, sprinkled with lemon juice.
Video recipe for Brussels sprouts with pine nuts:
Brussels sprouts are very different in appearance from other types of cabbage. Its beneficial properties are unique. How to cook delicious Brussels sprouts in a pan, oven and slow cooker - read on our website.
So, we wrote the rules for cooking Brussels sprouts. If you stick to them, the cabbage will turn out to be quite pleasant to the taste, and the dishes with it will not only be healthy, but also tasty. It is important to follow all the rules and not break them.so that the result does not come as an unpleasant surprise to you. We hope that our article will help you prepare some wonderful Brussels sprouts dishes. We wish you the best in your culinary endeavors!