We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Fleas are common in cats. Not only street and homeless animals, but also sterile pets are susceptible to the attack of these little bloodsuckers.
The fact is that fleas can easily enter the premises. from a not very clean entrance, "Come" from the street on the clothes or shoes of residents, "Jump" from neighbors.
The neighborhood with flea parasites is quite dangerous not only for furry pets, but also for humans, since fleas are carriers of serious diseases: hepatitis A, salmonellosis, typhus.
On the body of a cat, only 5 percent of flea individuals are usually found, the rest in the form of laid eggs, pupae, larvae quickly populate the whole house. That is why a set of measures is especially effective in the fight against a flea army, including disinsection treatment not only of your pet, but of the entire living quarters.
Flea symptoms in domestic cats
The following signs will help determine that the animal is worried about fleas, and not any disease:
- itchy skin... The poor animal begins to comb its back and sides. Ticks usually affect the ear and groin areas;
- the presence of flea waste products... You can see the excrement and eggs of fleas that look like a mixture of white and dark grains by moving the cat's fur apart;
- adult fleas... Parasites actively begin to flee from the body of the animal when washing or combing, and it is here that you can see them with your own eyes;
- wounds, ulcers, skin redness... Flea bites themselves irritate the cat's skin, and subsequent brushing leads to the formation of various lesions.
Treatment should be started if at least one of the above symptoms is present. After all, nondescript-looking fleas can cause serious health problems in your pet:
- nervous system disorders.
Traditional methods of dealing with fleas in cats
It is unlikely that our ancestors knew such things as anti-flea collars or drops. The methods they use to rescue unfortunate animals from fleas were simple but effective.
Unlike insecticides, which can not only kill parasites, but also cause considerable harm to the animal and all the inhabitants of the apartment (due to their chemical nature), grandmothers' remedies for flea bloodsuckers are more loyal and act mostly intimidating.
And yet they can seriously ruin the life of a flea brother.
IMPORTANT! Fleas do not live in a pet's fur all the time; they jump for a while in search of food. But they live nearby, on the household items of the animal. Therefore, in order to destroy parasites, first of all, the cat's sleeping place (bedding, basket, mattress), as well as the house (if any) and utensils for eating and drinking, should be carefully processed. The house and the basket can be processed with hot steam, fabric products must be washed in boiling water with tar soap, and the dishes must be washed with soda.
The most effective ways to combat fleas are:
- odorous herbs... Tansy, wormwood have a pungent specific odor, completely unbearable for fleas. Small bouquets of dry grass spread out in different corners of the apartment will scare off bloodsuckers for a long time. A decoction of wormwood can be used to rinse the animal's fur after bathing, you should not be afraid: wormwood is harmless to pets;
- combing... This procedure requires a fine-toothed comb. This method is used mainly in small kittens, but it does not guarantee one hundred percent exclusion of parasites;
- pine sawdust... Fleas can hardly tolerate the coniferous odor and tend to get away from its source. In order to prevent the appearance of insects and prevent the reproduction of existing ones, the litter of the animal is filled with small pine sawdust. You can also spread small bags with this repellent throughout the apartment;
- cold... Fleas are thermophilic, so any decrease in temperature is destructive for them. To cleanse your dwelling of dysfunctional tenants, it is enough to leave all the windows in the room open for several hours, after removing all residents from it. At this time, the cat can be taken out into the street and "bathed" in a deep snowdrift;
- a mixture of table salt and baking soda... Acts detrimental to adult fleas. Powder should be used to sprinkle carpets in the house, as well as cat litter. Vacuum after a few hours. Salt solution will also help to get rid of fleas (from the proportion of a glass of salt to a bucket of liquid). Gently, holding the animal firmly by the paws, place it in the bucket, leaving only the head on the surface. You need to hold the pet in this position for 2-3 minutes (if you can), then rinse it in clean warm water;
- tar soap... It has been known since ancient times for its beneficial properties. Tar treats well skin lesions, eczema, dermatitis, disinfects, relieves pain, kills various infectious bacteria, has a detrimental effect not only on adults of parasitic insects, but also on their offspring (eggs, larvae). Plus, the soap is natural and won't harm your furry friend in any way. How to handle an animal? Beat the soap into a strong foam and rub the pet with it, after 5 minutes, wash it off. It is advisable to carry out the procedure every 3-4 days until the flea bloodsuckers are completely eliminated;
REFERENCE! Tar soap for the elimination of fleas can be used for small (2 month old) kittens. It is completely harmless.
- pyrethrum (Dalmatian chamomile)... The flowers of this beautiful garden plant contain natural insecticides that are harmful to fleas. To rid the animal of parasites, you need to bathe it in a decoction of dry pyrethrum inflorescences (one glass of chopped grass per 5 liters of boiling water);
IMPORTANT! It should be remembered that after a therapeutic bath, the cat must be quickly dried, even in the summer, as they catch colds very easily and can "seize" a serious kidney or bladder disease.
- ammonia, 3% vinegar and flower cologne... This is a rather barbaric method of driving fleas from a pet's fur, but quite effective. All ingredients must be taken in equal parts, mixed, poured into a spray bottle and sprayed on the hair of the cat. Then wrap the animal in a plastic bag, leaving only the head outside. With all your might, try to hold the pet for 5-10 minutes, and then wash it in warm water. Flush dead insects with water into the toilet;
All manipulations for the destruction of fleas in pets should be carried out in conjunction with the processing of the apartment, otherwise, after a few days, your pet will again tear itself apart with its paws, trying to snatch the hated insects from its fur.