We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Often, in pursuit of a huge harvest, gardeners and gardeners forget about the taste of potatoes. But it is not for nothing that this root crop is called the second bread, without it it is difficult to imagine a table in any country in the world.
Therefore, fodder potatoes, namely, it gives record yields, will not replace table varieties in terms of taste. The Zekura variety has become a successful attempt by breeders to combine good yield with good taste.
You will find its detailed description, characteristics and features of agricultural technology in this article. As well as the propensity and resistance to disease, susceptibility to attack by insect pests.
Breeders from Germany achieved the endurance of the root crop, disease resistance, short ripening times, and excellent taste of the vegetable. The shelf life was also important for them. Zekura confirmed that it is possible now this variety is known by summer residents and gardeners all over Russia, successfully growing even in the short Siberian summergiving wonderful yields.
Zekura potatoes: variety description and photo
|general characteristics||table variety with excellent taste and stable yield|
|Ripening period||80-95 days|
|Mass of marketable tubers||60-150 gr|
|The number of tubers in the bush||17-20|
|Yield||450-550 c / ha|
|Consumer qualities||excellent taste, moderate digestibility|
|Pulp color||light yellow|
|Preferred growing regions||Volgo-Vyatka, Central Black Earth, North Caucasian, Middle Volga, West Siberian, Far Eastern|
|Disease resistance||relatively resistant to common scab|
|Growing features||drought tolerant, but responds well to additional watering|
Potatoes of this variety have gained popularity due to their unpretentiousness and simple agricultural technology. Zekura's erect bushes are not spreading, which makes it easier to weed and loosen. The flowers are purple. The nests are very compact and form close to the surface to facilitate harvesting.
The tubers are even, oblong, the eyes are small, the peel and flesh are yellow. The weight of tubers can reach 60-150 grams, there are 17-20 of them in the nest... Potatoes have a high starch content and retain their presentation for a long time.
The taste of potatoes largely depends on the amount of starch in its tubers. In the table below you can see what this indicator is for different varieties:
|Variety name||Starch content|
Zecura is resistant to golden nematode, cancer, late blight, relatively high resistance to scab, leaf twisting, rotting. What makes this variety attractive is that during storage, it does not lose excellent taste for 3-4 months... The main thing is to choose the right place for the winter and remember the timing.
Illustrative photos of Zekur potatoes:
Pros and cons of the variety:
- The yellowish flesh of potatoes is perfect for mashed potatoes, frying, put in soups, stews, boiled for salads. It should be borne in mind that it is easy to boil.
- Despite the unpretentiousness, in conditions of drought or lack of heat, tubers may turn out to be smaller than the expected size, from 50 to 70 grams.
- Potatoes of this variety are perfectly stored in vegetable stores with a stable temperature of 1 - 2 degrees, moderate humidity.
- The percentage of overly large or too small root crops is very low, almost all of them smooth, without spots and roughness, green tubers also almost never exist.
- It retains varietal properties well for several years.
Planting potatoes of the Zekura variety is best in mid-May, when the soil has warmed up enough. This variety shows the best results when planting in soil where perennials, mustard, and lupine were previously grown.
- Preliminary soil preparation is obligatory: plowing, harrowing;
- Landing is carried out in open ground, to a depth of 10 centimeters;
- The distance between the seeds is up to 50 cm;
- No pre-treatment of seeds is required;
- Depending on the condition of the soil, it can be enriched with organic or mineral additives (humus, manure, sapropel, wood ash, peat, sawdust).
The Zekura variety is recommended for cultivation in central Russia, but even in Siberia and Kazakhstan, it reaches technical ripeness by mid-August, 90-100 days after planting.
Zekur also does not require special care... The main ones are timely weeding and loosening after watering or rains. Weeds are removed in June, then as needed. At the beginning of July, it is worth spilling potato bushes, which will allow them to keep moisture longer and help form a compact nest. Harvested from mid-August to mid-September.
There are many ways to grow potatoes. In our articles you will find interesting information about Dutch technology, about growing in barrels or bags.
With proper care, this variety gives up to 450-550 centners per hectare, that is, up to 45 kilograms from each hundred square meters in a summer cottage.
You can compare the yield and keeping quality of the variety with others using the table below:
|Variety name||Productivity (kg / ha)||Keeping quality (%)|
In order to preserve the grown crop, it is necessary to first disinfect the storehouse or basement, dry it. Sort the potatoes, removing all root crops with signs of disease, damage, dry, clean from the ground.
It is best to put it in wooden boxes or containers, but special storage nets are also suitable. The storage temperature should be maintained at 1 - 2 degrees, which will help keep the potatoes longer. Keep the room dark to help prevent germination.
Varietal tubers selected for planting should be stored separately, checking their condition 2 times a month and removing soft or starting to rot fruits. 1 - 2 weeks before planting, the seed can be placed in a warm, bright room.
Read about where and how to store peeled tubers and whether it is possible to preserve the benefits of potato tubers in the refrigerator in separate articles on our website.
Diseases and pests
Most of the diseases of the Zekura variety are not terrible, it resists almost everyone well. The danger can be posed by pests: Colorado potato beetle, wireworm, scoop caterpillars, bear. Wireworm breeds in poorly cultivated areas, in manure and sawdust, loves wheatgrass.
Avoid the growth of weeds, in the case of a large number of pests in the soil, carry out autumn plowing of the soil to destroy the wireworm. This pest loves to settle in acidic soils, so the following methods help to combat it:
- Liming (1 kg of slaked soda for every 10 square meters)
- Wood ash (2 10-liter buckets per 10 square meters of soil) will help both fertilize the soil and get rid of pests.
- To combat pests of the terrestrial part of plants, there are many drugs, including "Commander", "Corado", bitobaxicillin. They must be used strictly in accordance with the instructions that must be attached to the packaging of the chemical.
- Among the folk remedies, dusting with ash, corn flour and even cement or gypsum dust (with caution) has proven itself well.
- Spraying with herbal infusions and infusions of walnut, acacia bark, poplar leaves, makhorka is also used.
- Pests do not like the smells of garlic, wormwood, tar, tobacco, and a number of other plants. On the site, it is worth planting with bushes or, if you like more, with bouquets of garlic, marigolds, nasturtium, calendula, coriander. This will scare off beetles and a bear.
An interesting and useful video about the Zekura potato variety:
The mid-early potato variety Zekura is excellent for growing in central Russia and Siberia. Its ability to resist disease and produce good yields even during periods of drought makes it popular with summer residents and gardeners.
Equally attractive is that it is rot-resistant and easy to grow. Smooth and beautiful tubers with a yellowish flesh have a very pleasant taste and contain many useful substances, so they will perfectly complement your diet.
We also bring to your attention other varieties of potatoes with different ripening periods:
|Late ripening||Medium early||Mid late|
|Ivan da Marya||Nevsky||Lorch|
|Rocco||The dark woman||Ryabinushka|
|Slav||Lord of the open spaces||Nevsky|