We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Today more and more housewives choose the most profitable and convenient way preparing food for the winter - freezing.
This is due to the fact that when freezing, the maximum amount of vitamins and nutrientsas well as shape, color, aroma and taste.
In addition to vegetables and fruits, onions are also frozen - a vegetable, without which one cannot imagine any borscht, or an appetizing stew, or various kinds of salads.
Do onions freeze for the winter? We have already considered in our article such a method of storing various types of onions for the winter, as drying. Freezing can also be called one of the ways to store onions for the winter at home.
Of course, any harvesting of vegetables begins with buying or harvesting your own harvest. Read about how and in what time frame it is necessary to harvest onions in our article.
Where to freeze onions? Before you start freezing onions, it is important to make sure that the freezer compartment of your refrigerator is capable of maintain the temperature within -18 ... -20 degrees.
If the refrigerator does not have similar qualities, it is better to purchase special freezer.
At the specified temperature, frozen onions can retain all their beneficial properties up to up to 6 months.
If freezing is carried out at higher temperatures (0 ... -8 degrees), then the shelf life of the onion will be halved.
How to freeze onions?
Freeze onions in plastic bags suitable for use. for food purposes, or in plastic containers, which must also be suitable for safe contact with food.
Freezing is done small portions, in order to use them in the future as a whole, avoiding repeated freezing, since upon contact with oxygen, frozen onions lose their taste.
How and how much to store frozen onions? Frozen onions are stored from 3 months to six months, but it is best to use the harvest in the first 4-6 weeks, since after this period the onions begin to lose their taste and aroma. After 6 months, the preparation will completely lose its taste.
In any case, these periods are much longer than the storage period for onions in a cellar or basement in winter.
When harvesting onions by freezing, it should be borne in mind that in the first weeks the smell from it will be so strongthat will be absorbed into other food in the freezer.
It is better to place the container with the blank away from other products or place on top of them.
How to freeze onions for the winter? An interesting way to freeze green onions for the winter in plastic bottles in this video:
How to freeze green onions for the winter? To properly freeze green onions, you must first prepare them:
- Separate the feathers from the roots, while eliminating yellowed and withered parts.
- Green onions rinse well under running water and dry thoroughly to avoid lump formation during freezing. You can dry the onions on a newspaper, napkin or waffle towel.
- After the green onions have dried, it is necessary chop with a knife the way you usually do it with a fresh plant.
- Air must be removed from the bags in which the chopped onions are placed, then tightly tie (or use bags with a fastener) and send to the freezer.
How to freeze green onions for the winter? You can freeze green onions both fresh and thermally treated... For the preparation of the first and second courses, frozen fried or blanched onions are suitable.
Can green onions be frozen with oil? If you decide to fry greens, you should use animal fats, as vegetable oil does not freeze.
A good way to harvest green onions is to freeze them. with butter... For this you need:
- Combine a little softened butter with finely chopped onions and mix gently.
- Spread the mixture onto the edge of cling film / foil and roll into a sausage.
- Fasten the ends of the film / foil.
- Place the resulting package in the freezer and use as needed, cutting off in small portions.
How to freeze green onions for the winter using olive oil in this video:
You can also freeze onions in ice cube trays or silicone molds. For this, onion feathers must be chopped using a blender to a gruel consistency, pour the mixture into molds and place in the freezer. You can use this blank by throwing “onion ice” cubes directly into the dish while cooking.
The way to freeze green onions for the winter in the freezer in this video:
For other ways to store green onions, read our article.
Is it possible to freeze onions for the winter? Disputes about whether to freeze onions have not subsided among experienced housewives for a long time. There is an opinion that onions are able to completely destroy own smell of all products in the fridge.
Also, many argue that after freezing, the onion becomes "glassy", watery, soft and tasteless.
All this takes place if the freezing process is approached incorrectly. For frozen onions did not lose his qualities, it is necessary to procure it in stages, adhering to some rules:
- For preparation for the winter choose only fresh onions, without a strong putrid odor and surface spots.
- Peel the onion from the top layer (husk).
- Cut the onion into slices 0.5-1 cm thick.
- Chopped onions must be divided into portions and put in bags, leaving in them some free space (frozen onions increase in volume).
- Gently squeeze excess air out of the bag, tie or button.
- Shake the bag for uniform distribution slicing in it.
- Place portions in the freezer.
Onions can also be frozen lightly fried and blanched... Read about this and other ways of storing onions on our website.
How to freeze leeks for the winter? The taste and smell of leeks is much softer and sweeter than that of the plant we are used to, so freezing it will bring much less hassle in mind lack of a sharp aroma.
Often, housewives refuse the upper dark green onion leaves due to their fibrous structure.
However, it is in this part of the plant that maximum amount of nutrientsso dark leaves should also be harvested. Freezing leeks is done in the following way:
- Peel the onion by removing the yellowed, wilted leaves.
- Rinse with running water and pat dry on a linen cloth or towel.
- Without removing the leaves, the leek should be cut into small pieces (2-3 cm) and placed in plastic bags, dividing into portions.
- Eliminate excess air, tie tightly, place in freezer.
Freeze leeks at a temperature not higher than -18 degrees, and you can store it in conditions -18 ... -5.
There is another way to freeze leeks, namely stem:
- After cleaning, the stems of the plant must be cooled. Cooling is carried out at a temperature of -2 ... + 2 without packaging.
- After 1-2 hours, chilled onions are placed in plastic bags (no more than 8 stems in 1 bag).
- After removing the air from the bags, they should be placed in the freezer for further storage.
How to freeze chives for the winter? Chives, known as chives, have a rich, rich aroma reminiscent of a mixture of regular onions and garlic... Very often chives are used as special seasoning to a wide variety of dishes.
If you are a fan of this plant and want to keep it for the winter, then freezing is the best way to harvest it. In order to freeze qualitatively chives, you must follow the instructions:
- Rinse the cut onion feathers with cold running water.
- Trim roots and wilted onion leaves.
- Pat the onion dry on a towel or piece of paper. It is important that before placing the onion in the freezer completely dry, since when a plant is frozen with water residues, taste qualities workpieces are significantly reduced.
It is also important that the chives air dry on their own, as the external mechanical impact on it (for example, rubbing with a towel) can damage the delicate feathers and loss of scent.
- Chop the onion with a knife to a size that is commonly used for cooking.
- Divide chopped onions into freezer bags.
- Place the bags in the freezer.
- Smooth the slices in the bag with a horizontal layer (for even freezing), eliminate excess air, close or tie tightly.
Some helpful tips
Blanch onions before freezing should be no longer than 3 minutes over low heat with the addition of a small amount of water. For maximum preservation of vitamins and nutrients, chopped onion is best placed in a metal sieve and dipped in boiling water for 30 secondsand then pour over with cold water.
Frozen onions should not be used raw... It is only suitable for preparing various dishes.
As you can see from this article, freezing is a great way to store onions, but it is worth noting that it is completely unsuitable for storing onion sets, as we talked about in our other material.
Do not do it defrost onion, since in this case the product may lose its taste, change its consistency and color. It is best to add it to dishes during cooking.