We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The most delicious, healthy, aromatic apple is the one that grown in our own dacha.
Apples sold in stores in winter are not at all what we expect from these fruits, because, firstly, they do not have such a sweet, pleasant taste and aroma, and secondly, they often stuffed with all kinds of chemistry, therefore, such apples can even harm health.
Therefore it is best stock up on your own apples for the winter, correctly collecting them and placing them in the basement or cellar.
Temperature and humidity requirements
How to store apples in the cellar in winter?
Ideal temperature to save these fruits, it can range from -1 to +3 degrees.
At this temperature, the ethylene released from apples will not come out of the fruit as intensively, and the harvest will last much longer.
Optimum humidity: This figure should be between 85-95%. Such a high percentage of moisture in the basement will keep the apples from drying out and shriveling.
How to prepare a cellar?
The cellar in which the apples will be stored must meet the following requirements:
- Room height - 2.2–2.3 m, not less. If the cellar is lower, then condensation will appear on the ceiling, affecting the humidity and, as a result, the duration of the storage of the fruit.
- Cellar floor should be made of bricks or dry boards. It should not be concreted.
- Room walls need to whitewash. If the basement is too damp, then you need to decompose potassium chloride or fine lime, these substances will absorb unnecessary moisture.
- Before placing fruit in the basement, the room needs to be disinfected... To do this, apply a solution of components such as lime, copper sulfate with water to the walls (1.5 kg of lime and about 150 g of sulfate are needed for 10 liters of liquid). Namely: whitewash the walls with fresh lime (1.5 kg) with copper sulfate (150 g) and water (10 l).
- It is important to provide a natural or forced ventilation.
A useful and destructive neighborhood
How to store apples in the cellar in winter along with potatoes? Save apples and potatoes it is impossible... You don't need to do this because apples emit ethylene, which, falling on potatoes, causes him harmresulting in potatoes sprouts... And while the apples are gaining unpleasant starchy taste and also ripen very quickly.
Also, apples cannot be stored together with cabbage, onions or garlic it is impossible. As a result of this neighborhood, apples will acquire an unpleasant smell and taste. In general, such fruits should not be saved with vegetables.
A useful neighborhood for apples is pears... These fruits feel comfortable being around. There is no unpleasant smell and aftertaste after such a neighborhood.
How to prepare apples?
To store fruits for the winter, you need them take away... It is necessary to ensure that there are no dents, squeezed places, worms on the fruit. Apples should be selected those that have a stalk.
If some apple is without it, then soon it will start to deteriorate due to fungal diseases... You also need to choose those fruits that still have natural wax coating.
Should sort fruits by size and variety.
Small apples should be kept in a separate box from large and medium ones.
Such a calibration is necessary, since finding large apples that emit plenty of ethylene, together with small ones, will contribute to the faster ripening of small fruits.
And large apples will start to deteriorate because of this, which will eventually lead to to large crop losses... It is also important to sort the apples by grade. After all, apples of different varieties have individual shelf life. Therefore, you need to keep such unequal fruits in separate boxes.
You will learn how to properly sort apples for storage by watching this video:
What container is required?
Containers for winter preservation of apples can be varied, however, it must meet such basic requirements as strength and purity.
How to store apples in the cellar? Most often, people store apples in the following containers:
- IN wooden boxes... Having chosen such a container, it is important to ensure that the upper boxes do not press down on the lower ones. Apples in wooden boxes must not be hammered to the top, otherwise the top layer of the fruit will definitely suffer.
- IN cardboard boxes... Such a container must be carefully glued with tape in order to prevent the box from bursting.
- IN lattice plastic chests... Since there are gaps in such a container, you need to lay paper on the bottom and sides of the chests and put apples on top.
- On shelving... If shelving in a basement with pull-out drawers is generally excellent. This is a very convenient storage method that allows you to see the condition of the entire crop. Before identifying apples in the basement, the racks must first be dried and covered with burlap or paper.
How to arrange fruits correctly?
It is desirable that each fruit is somehow separated from the rest.
To do this, you can try to wrap the apples individually in paper, or pour them sand, maple leaves.
If the apples are to be stored in boxes, then the fruits should be placed in rows and diagonally, and not simply poured out. And if the apples are stored on the shelves, then the fruits can be sprinkled oiled shavings.
Saving apples in polyethylene films is also appropriate. In this case, the apples should be placed as follows: first, 2 layers of film are placed in the box, the first along the length, the second along the width of the box. Then apples are laid in an even layer. At the end, the film is placed on top and covers the top layer of apples.
The duration of storage of apples in the basement or cellar is largely depends on the variety of apples... For example, summer varieties of apples are not suitable for long-term savings, since the peel in them is very thin and tender. But autumn, and even better winter varieties, characterized by a rough skin, will be able to lie down for a long time:
- autumn varieties - about 2 months under all necessary conditions;
- winter varieties - from 4 to 7 months.
The best varieties for long-term storage are Antonovka, Antey, Kalvil snowy, Bogatyr.
When storing apples in the basement or cellar in winter, you should periodically revise. That is, in each box, pallet, bag should choose rotten or blackened fruits and remove them so that the decay process does not spread to other apples.
By strictly adhering to all the recommendations described in the article, you can be content with the taste of your own apples throughout the winter. The main thing is to properly prepare winter or autumn fruits, put them in containers appropriately and identify boxes, pallets or boxes in the basement or cellar.
The rules for preparing and storing apples in this video: