We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
With great difficulty growing vegetables on their land plot, how much disappointment people experience when collecting spoiled and unusable crop.
The main reason for this is all kinds of pests living in the earth.
One of the central places among them belongs wireworm... How to kill a wireworm?
What does a wireworm look like? This type of pest is click beetle larva.
Photo of the wireworm clicker beetle:
Its name is justified due to the specific wire-like appearance... Its body is covered with a thick and very durable shell, which is yellow or pale pink in color.
The length of an adult dart does not exceed 2.5 cm (when emerging from eggs, their body reaches a length of only 1.5 mm). It grows rather slowly - it grows no more than 0.7 cm per year.
Perfectly tolerates all weather conditions, therefore even severe winter frosts are not afraid of her... The lifespan of one individual is a maximum of 5 years.
Living at a shallow depth in the soil, the wireworm causes irreparable harm very many cultivated plants: potatoes, onions, cabbage, carrots, beets, lettuce, cucumbers, radishes and daikon.
Eating the roots of plants, as well as gnawing winding, long passages in the tubers, they lose not only their attractive appearance, but also more often give in exposure to rot and infection by pathogens.
What makes a wireworm start? Before thinking about how to deal with the wireworm nut beetle larva, you need to know the main reasons for its appearance in the ground:
- on the land is very a lot of weeds;
- the wireworm's favorite delicacy is wheatgrass and sow thistle roots;
- vegetables planted too close together, which creates favorable conditions for the development and reproduction of larvae;
- soil constantly raw;
- the soil has an increased level acidity;
- Earth clayey and heavy.
Wireworm on potatoes
Among all the root crops in the garden, the drotyanka likes to concentrate in areas where potatoes grow.
Photo of a wireworm larva in a potato:
In the cool season, it lives at great depths, but with the onset of spring heat it rises almost to the very surface of the soil.
That is why, from the moment of planting the tubers, they become vulnerable for the wireworm beetle.
It bites into the peel of the root vegetable, penetrating deeply into it, as can be seen in the photo. At the same time, outside on the potatoes remain visible and unpleasant tracesresembling the dying off of the outer tissues of the plant.
In addition, a destructive process of rot and spoilage begins inside the potato, which can lead to complete rotting of the fetus... The larvae of the click beetle also feed on young tubers, thereby destroying almost the entire crop of potatoes.
Noticing wilted tops on the site among all the potato bushes, hurry up to dig up the root vegetableto immediately destroy the pest in it.
How to get rid of?
How to get rid of (fight) the wireworm in the ground? Having found at least one specimen of Drotyanka in the garden, efforts must be made immediately to destroy it, because without her fellows she will definitely not climb.
Reference: One click beetle lays eggs in the ground, of which at least emerge 150 larvae.
Drotyanka - the fight against it should be complex. Consider the main methods of struggle, which are effective both on a potato field and on unplanned land:
- plant in a suburban area legumesthat are considered unacceptable for drots: peas, beans, chickpeas, beans and soy;
- in the places of the greatest accumulation of this pest it is recommended to sow mustard, clover, alfalfa, spring rape or buckwheat;
- manually choose carefully from the ground roots of wheatgrass, sow thistle and cock's millet;
- do not plant land too thick... In the event that the area is small, and you need to plant a lot of things, often weed the aisles, which will loosen the soil and rid it of weeds;
- after weeding is complete, do not leave weeds, roots or their old tops;
- try to make the ground less acidic... To do this, during planting of vegetables, pour ash, crushed eggshells, lime and chalk into the grooves;
- plant between potatoes, onions and carrots marigold, which, during their flowering, emit an odor that is unpleasant for the larvae of the click beetle, which scares them away;
- in the middle of autumn (in October), dig deep into the garden by hand. Important! The depth should not be less than 20 cm, which will allow you to pick up the wireworm from the ground and turn it over to the surface. Cold ground will help it freeze;
- late spring or early summer loosen the ground, which will allow you to raise the eggs of the click beetle to the surface of the soil. Under the influence of the bright and hot sun, they will die.
In addition, it should be said about two existing measures to combat drotyankathat have an equally positive effect on the condition of the soil:
- chemical - is aimed at introducing chemicals into the soil that can destroy the wireworm;
- agrotechnical - the meaning of this method is that the land is enriched with nitrogen fertilizers containing ammonium. You can also use regular ammonia water sprinkled on your garden.
Immediately after processing the soil in this way, the earth must be carefully dug up so that ammonia has not evaporated.
We will consider how to deal with a wireworm in the following paragraphs.
Wireworm in potatoes: how to get rid of? How to withdraw? The best and fastest way to kill the larvae of the click beetle is to use special chemicals... Here are examples of some of them that are very popular among consumers.
How to get the wireworm out using this remedy? Anti-wireworm agent "Prestige" perfectly relieves land from the drotyanka.
So, the drug is diluted in accordance with the instructions (10 ml of suspension is added to 10 liters of water) and poured into the well immediately directly before planting potatoes or other vegetables.
If you plan to treat an area with strawberries or flowers, use the same solution that is poured into a watering can for convenience.
The protective effect of this product lasts up to 50 days, after which it completely dissolves in the soil and does not cause any harm to the human body.
Tabu wireworm remedy is suitable for treating potato tubers and seeds of other vegetables. Used by only during landing... This is very economical means, because a small amount of it (10 ml of suspension is diluted in 1.5 liters of water) is enough to spray 125 kg of root crops.
In this case, the tubers are laid out on a flat surface and treated with the prepared solution. Waiting for complete drying of the drug, vegetables are planted in the ground. Not dangerous for humans, because 2 months after treatment, it completely dissolves in the soil.
Suitable for both topsoil spraying and during planting. Divorced in accordance with the instructions: 4 g is dissolved in 10 l of water... Such a liquid is poured over the holes dug under the potatoes. 10 liters of solution is enough to cultivate 100 m of soil.
Fully displayed from vegetables after 50-60 days. Does not pose a danger to human health.
On the correct use of chemical wireworm control agents in this video:
How to kill a wireworm? Consider folk methods of struggle. If you do not want to add chemicals to the ground, but still strive with all your might to get rid of the drotyanka, use folk methods, which also give good results in the fight against this pest.
Here is some of them:
- a few weeks before the planting period, holes are dug in the soil, which are Click Beetle Larvae Traps... Halves of potatoes or whole tubers are placed in them, which are buried on top with earth. In places of traps, they set beacons... After a few days, the affected root crop is dug up and burn, and put a new bait into the hole;
- planted in infected areas buckwheat, mustard and legumes, which after a while are buried in the ground as fertilizer and to scare away the drotyanka;
- two weeks before planting, green manure is sown every 65 cm by the hole method: barley or corn (not less than 20 grains in each). When the seeds are high above the ground, they are dug up and burned, because there will be a lot of wireworms in them;
- in the garden put a large plastic wrap and pour sugar syrup over it, on the smell of which click beetles will flock. So they can be easily destroyed without allowing eggs to be laid;
- at the end of April, make holes throughout the site, in which to put dry grass or boards... Cover the holes on top with boards or slate, so that under them warmly... After a few days, get the bait with a drotyanka and burn their;
- in the shaded areas of the garden to the very neck, bury liter jars of fresh vegetables... Every three days, check the traps and get pests out of them;
- once every 5 years, you can dig up the garden in the spring and sprinkle it salt;
- when planting potatoes, put in each hole a handful of onion skins.
As many as three popular methods of dealing with wireworms in this video:
Choosing a suitable method for destroying the wireworm, don't give up in the process of fighting it, and then every year you will be able to harvest large harvests of beautiful and tasty potatoes, as well as other useful vegetables.