We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Sauerkraut is an uncomplicated dish that evokes the most reverent attitude towards itself. There are countless recipes for making sauerkraut.
It is fermented classically with salt or marinade, with the addition of spices and other products: mushrooms, apples, plums.
The preparation of sauerkraut with beets is very popular and original.
This root vegetable gives the pickles a beautiful burgundy color, and also contributes to a unique vitamin cocktail, which is a ready-made dish.
The benefits of sauerkraut with beets
The product is famous for its large amount of vitamin C. This is one of the most unstable vitamins, but in an acidic environment it remains for a long time, up to eight months, if stored properly.
In addition to it, cabbage and beets also contain others: a number of vitamins of group B, E, PP, K, H, U. About the latter, by the way, it was believed that it is only in cabbage, but later it turned out that beets also have it. It accelerates wound healing, has anti-allergenic effects.
Sauerkraut contains a substantial set of minerals: phosphorus, potassium, sodium, calcium, zinc, sulfur, iodine and others.
Beets contain a unique substance - betaine, which is not found in other vegetables and fruits. Betaine helps to assimilate proteins, normalizes liver function.
Cranberries, which are also often used in cabbage sourdough recipes, are no less useful for health.
Lactic acid bacteria, which are responsible for fermentation, fight the putrefactive bacteria living in the intestines.
Due to this composition, sauerkraut with beets increases immunity, cleanses the body, bringing metabolism back to normal, reduces the amount of "harmful" cholesterol, improves blood formation, and also has antitumor properties.
Naturally, due to the high acid content, it should be consumed in moderation.
The food is not recommended for people who have increased gastric acidity for various reasons, have gastritis and peptic ulcers. Also, the product is contraindicated for hypertensive patients, people with diseases of the pancreas, suffering from kidney failure and gallstones.
Sauerkraut with beets is a popular product, as evidenced by the number of recipes for its preparation. However, there are also basics to consider, regardless of the recipe.
As mentioned above, there are many recipes for sauerkraut. The most popular can be safely called cabbage with apples or cranberries. Well, for novice housewives, a simple recipe for cabbage in brine is quite suitable.
Subtleties and secrets
When fermenting cabbage, you need to know a few simple secrets:
- for pickling cabbage, dishes and oppression are needed that do not oxidize. At home, this is a glass or enamel container;
- cabbage is needed later varieties, as it contains more sugar. It is he who, fermented by lactic acid bacteria, causes the fermentation process and the appearance of lactic acid;
- cabbage must be properly harvested and stored;
- frozen or frozen cabbage is not suitable for pickling;
- mashing cabbage with salt, you do not need to show excessive zeal, otherwise the cabbage will be soft and not crispy;
- cabbage needs room temperature to ferment. If, during fermentation without brine, fermentation does not start in three days, you need to increase the weight of the oppression and add a little salted water to the cabbage. For the same purpose (to speed up fermentation), a crust of rye bread is sometimes placed on the bottom of the container, covering it with a cabbage leaf on top;
- when fermentation begins, a gas with an unpleasant odor will form in the cabbage. It should be released regularly. For this purpose, it is convenient to use a knitting needle, wooden or stainless steel - to pierce and turn the cabbage in several places;
- you need to store the product in the refrigerator, at a temperature of about 2 ° C, while making sure that the cabbage is covered with brine. Without it, it loses its taste and vitamins.
At about the same time as the cabbage pickling, the hostesses start pickling or pickling mushrooms. About what ways to do this exist and what the whole process of this action is, read the detailed article on our website:
How to pickle mushrooms for the winter?
Before moving on to the recipes, let me offer you useful tips on how to cook cabbage quickly, what sourdough secrets exist, how to make sauerkraut crunchy and recipes for cooking it in jars.
There are a lot of cabbage recipes, we will tell you a few of them, but the most delicious.
For cooking we need:
- cabbage - one large head of cabbage (about 3-3.5 kg);
- beets and carrots - 2 pieces of medium size;
- garlic - two medium heads;
- vinegar (table, not essence) - 100 ml;
- sunflower oil - 100 ml;
- sugar - 100 gr;
- salt - 1 full tbsp. the spoon.
Cut the cabbage as you like. Someone likes finely chopped, and some prefer large pieces.
The same applies to beets: grate, cut into cubes or plates. Grate the carrots using a coarse grater, peel the garlic, cut the large cloves in half.
Put prepared vegetables in layers in a jar in the following order: cabbage, beets, carrots, garlic. The last layer should be cabbage.
Pour the vegetable layers with marinade, for which the remaining ingredients are combined with a liter of boiling water. Put the cabbage under oppression at room temperature. Fermentation usually takes 3-4 days.
Readiness can be tested by taste - if everything suits you, then the product is sent to the refrigerator.
Take these ingredients:
- cabbage - 1 large head of cabbage;
- beets - 2 pieces;
- table vinegar - 100 ml;
- sugar - 100 gr;
- salt - 1 tbsp. the spoon;
- spices: bay leaf, black pepper and sweet peas - to taste.
Chop and mix the cabbage and beets. For the marinade, boil a liter of water with spices, salt and sugar. Let this mixture boil for about ten minutes, then add vinegar and remove from heat after a minute. Pour the resulting marinade into the vegetables, cured into a jar, place oppression on top and leave to ferment.
With horseradish and garlic
- cabbage - 1 head of cabbage;
- beets - 1 medium;
- garlic - 2 heads;
- horseradish - a small piece, about 30 grams;
- sugar - 3 tablespoons;
- salt - 1 tbsp. the spoon.
Chop the cabbage and beets, chop the garlic, grate the horseradish and mix everything. For the marinade, take a liter of water, dissolve sugar and salt in it, boil and cool a little.
Pour vegetables with warm brine, put oppression on them and leave to ferment.
The peculiarity of this recipe is that lactic acid and the absence of salt will give the vegetables a special taste. You will need:
- cabbage - a large head of cabbage;
- beets - 1 medium size;
- carrots - 1 medium;
- onion - 1 onion;
- bay leaf, caraway seeds, pepper - to taste.
Chop the washed cabbage and beets, grate the carrots, chop the onions into rings.
Put in a jar in layers: cabbage, onion rings, carrots, beetroot pieces, spices.
Cabbage should complete the layers. Pour the laid and crumpled vegetables with water, so that about 10 cm remains to the top of the cabbage. Oppression from above, and in a warm place to ferment.
You will need:
- cabbage - 1 large;
- beets - 2 medium;
- sweet peppers - 3 medium;
- citric acid in powder - 1 spoon without top (tablespoon);
- garlic - 4-5 cloves;
- dill seed, peppercorns - to taste;
- salt - 1 tbsp. the spoon.
Chop vegetables, finely chop the garlic. Beat in a jar in layers so that there is cabbage on top.
Boil water (about a liter), dissolve salt and citric acid in it and pour the cabbage so that the marinade does not reach 10 cm to its top. Put oppression on top and remove for fermentation.
Of course, the above list of recipes does not contain even a hundredth of those that were invented by inventive housewives, but you can come up with your own based on them, adding new ingredients and spices.
Sauerkraut with beets is a healthy, beautiful and festive dish, it will decorate any table, please any guest, and will attract even capricious children with its appetizing look. To be or not to be such a product in home bins - everyone decides for himself, but there are hardly many of those who will be able to refuse!